Cargin continue to lead the way


Division 1 table toppers Cargin

All County Football League Division One (round 11)

Erin’s Own Cargin 1-21 St Teresa’s 0-09

Cargin continue to lead the race for the division one title and will remain in pole position into the split after they proved too strong for the visiting St Teresa’s at a rain lashed Toome venue on Sunday.

The reigning league champions took some time get it together on the slippery surface and indeed the Glen road side kept in close touch with their hosts throughout much of the opening period.


The home side opened in confidence and they were at 0-03 without reply after six minutes as John Carron hit the opener and the in-form veteran Kieran Close served up a quickfire double.

The wing half forward, who was again to finish as top scorer, added back to back points from placed efforts in the 4th and 6th minutes after an infringement on himself 30 metres from the posts and followed with the same accuracy from a little bit closer when Enda Mc Grogan was grounded in flight shortly thereafter.


St Teresa’s utilising the short kick out at every opportunity, and indeed with success in the early stages of the game, were soon to return fire however and the Glen road side were abreast of their hosts in the 12th minutes as they raised a trio of white flags without reply.

Brendan Bennett’s crisply delivered 30 metre free kick yielded a 9th minute point to open their account, and Conor Mallon found space on the right hand side to fire between the posts in the 11th minute, and corner forward Niall Mc Cann collected from Paul Mc Goldrick to follow suit it was 0-03 apiece.


Cargin having been reeled in again after the positive opening came close to going ahead again but Mark Kelly’s effort following a slick approach was just wide of the posts when a goal looked possible but points which followed from the ever accurate Kieran Close and Michael Mc Cann opened up a two point gap.

St Teresa’s returned fire as Anton Taylor split the posts and again after Kieran Close replied in kind at the other end Conor Mackle was on target with a 20th minute score for the visitors.

The Saints had arrived at the Cargin venue as outsiders in the eyes of the pundits but they were obviously unaware of the script as they continued to keep close tabs on their hosts and only a point in arrears as the home side lead was just the minimum, 0-06 to 0-05 as the last ten minutes progressed.

Cargin were getting to grips with the visitors ‘short kick-out policy’ however and such was most apparent in the latter stages of the opening period.

Tony Scullion’s pace laden approach from back after he made interception was to send Michael Mc Cann away for a 23rd minute point and similarly as Justin Crozier pushed up from the back after Kieran Close and Mark Kelly played their part another Kieran Close point was to follow.

St Teresa’s regained composure for an Anton Taylor 28th minute point but Cargin were firmly in the groove as the short blast approached and another Tony Scullion drive, and delivery sent Michael Mc Cann in for another point and when Kieran Close raised a 30th minute white to punish an indiscretion on the advancing David Johnston the score enabled Cargin to take respite from the incessant rain with a half time advantage of 0-10 to 0-06.


Having taken control in the latter stages of the opening period Cargin started the second portion in a similar mode and racing away from the start blocks with Kevin Mc Shane again seizing the restart throw in before sending Tomas Mc Cann in for a point with only seconds on the clock.

St Teresa’s returned fire within a minute but the 33rd minute Conor Mallon point was not to signal revival for such was the velocity of the home side’s approach in the next phase the game was to be all but wrapped up by the end of the third quarter.

St Teresa’s had stood almost toe to toe with the home side for much of the previous proceedings but the Cargin men were about to light the blue touch paper and blast away from their visitors as they dominated the next ten minutes.

Paul Mc Cann, John Carron, Tomas Mc Cann, and the redoubtable Justin Crozier and James Laverty added five points without reply in as many minutes.

The Saints had their backs against the wall as the home side continued to lay siege with Tomas Mc Cann and corner back David Johnston adding points apiece before Kieran Close weighed in with a 43rd minute goal.

The corner forward rose to finish to the net and serve up the coup de grace after Tony Scullion’s delivery from the back and a swift combination involving Paul and Micheal Mc Cann opened the way for the former and at 1-18 to 0-07 the end was in sight.

The issue was resolved as the last quarter proceeded and although the visitors retained some interest on the Cargin posts as Jay Mallon added a couple of pointed frees the home side took the opportunity to give game time to a number of late replacements as further white flags raised by Ciaran Close and Tomas Mc Cann saw them ease over the winning line full value for their 1-21 to 0-09 winning scoreline, a result that further cements their place at the top the table.


Referee G Dougan (Creggan)




John Mc Nabb, David Johnston (0-01), Marty Kane, Tony Scullion, James Laverty (0-01), Justin Crozier (0-02), Brendan Laverty, Kevin Mc Shane, John Carron (0-02), Kieran Close (1-08), Michael Mc Cann (0-03), Mark Kelly, Tomas Mc Cann (0-06), Paul Mc Cann (0-01), Enda Mc Grogan.


Joe Maybin for M Kelly

Kyle Johnston for Enda Mc Grogan

Dermot Mc Guckin for K Close

St Teresa’s

Conor Hamill, Ryan Mallon, Eoin Connolly, Matthew Mallon, Eoin Gault,

Paul Mc Goldrick, Conal Mc Goldrick, Darren Mc Cann, Stephen Carey, Conor Mallon (0-02), Jay Mallon (0-04), Brendan Bennet (0-01), Niall Mc Cann (0-01), Anton Taylor (0-01), Aaron Thompson.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.