South Antrim hurling B Féile gets into swing of things at St. Mary’s CBGS

South Antrim hurling Féile na nGael roundup

By Kevin Herron at St. Mary’s CBGS

Although there were two matches of the South Antrim hurling B Féile played last midweek – most of the action got underway on Sunday morning at St. Mary’s CBGS on the Glen Road.

St Paul’s and Gael an tSléibhe Dúibh were the only two sides to enter ‘A’ Féile so go through to the final at Colaiste Feirste on April 29th.

Last midweek the battle to join St Paul’s and Gael an tSléibhe Dúibh began – due to Sarsfields and St Brigids involvement in the all-county football finals, both Sarsfields and Brid Og began their Féile campaigns on Wednesday evening with Sarsfields easily accounting for St John’s (5-05-1-02) and Brid Og defeating a young Rossa side (1-10-1-02).

On Sunday another three sides got their campaign underway as St Paul’s B, Lámh Dhearg and St Galls all entered the fray.

There were two games that threw in at 11 o’clock in group B (2) St John’s were hoping to bounce back from Wednesday evenings defeat to Sarsfields when they took on St Paul’s B. The Whiterock Road youngsters got off to the best possible start in the opening quarter and led 1-04-0-01 through a goal from Fintan McKinney and points from Stefan Hughes, Donal Gray and Cahir Carbery, with Diarmuid O’Sullivan replying for a young St Paul’s B side that featured the majority of their U-12 team.

In the second period St John’s experience shone and it reflected on the final score at the Corrigan Park side conjured up another 8-02.

St. Mary’s CBGS pupil Stefan Hughes helped himself to three of St John’s second-half goals – Ciaran Grieves grabbed a further two with Fintan McKinley, Conan McKinley and Finn McCallin also finding the net. Cahir Carbery and Grieves chipped in with the points as St John’s recovered from Wednesday nights defeat to Sarsfields in style.

The outstanding fixture in the group see’s Sarsfields take on St Paul’s B on Wednesday evening with the semi-finalists from the group confirmed after the clash between the near neighbours.

In the second group Lámh Dhearg got their campaign underway with a clash against Rossa, who experienced a midweek defeat to Brid Og at Cliftonville 4G.

The Lámhs made a terrific start and hit the front when Ronan Armstrong flicked Conal McGuigan’s free to the net and shortly afterwards Ben Denny picked out Adam Murray who fired the ball over the bar.

Lámh Dhearg’s second goal arrived after six-minutes as Rudi Allingham flicked the bal home at the back post and Rossa responded through a converted Diarmuid Rogan free, but trailed 2-01-0-01 at the interval.

Rogan combined with Jude Collins, who registered Rossa’s second score early in the second period, however Lámh Dhearg claimed their third goal after a short ball into the box wad claimed by the Rossa goalkeeper who was immediately put under pressure by the duo of Adam Murray and Christopher Tumelty – the end result saw Murray turn the loose ball home to give his side a 3-01-    0-02 lead.

Rogan converted a free to keep Rossa ticking over but Lámh Dhearg claimed their fourth goal with ten minutes remaining, Aidan McCague’s shot dropped short and Ronan Armstrong flicked the ball to the net for his second of the afternoon.

Conor Mooney, Rogan [free] and Corey Walsh responded with points for the Shaws Road side but late in the game Adam Murray struck his second goal of the afternoon and Aidan McCague then saw his shot drop over the Rossa goalkeeper to the net as Lámh Dhearg ran out 6-01-0-06 winners to condemn Rossa to a second defeat in the group.

Rossa would complete the group stage with a meeting against a St Gall’s side who were yet to enter the equation.

Though by the end of the encounter the Milltown side showed they were going to be contenders in the group with a 3-07-0-06 win.

Niall Fallon displayed has displayed his masterful goal scoring touch at St. Mary’s CBGS on many occasions, most recently in last month’s Féile football and Fallon picked up where he left off with a goal and a point against Rossa.

Top scorer Cormac Austin also chipped in with 1-02 with Caoimhin Piece adding a third goal and points from Aodhan McDonagh, Calum Walsh and Garric MacAdam helped St Galls to victory with Diarmuid Rogan amongst others helping Rossa to respond with 0-06 for  second successive game.

The last encounter of the afternoon saw the two form sides square up as St Gall’s clashed with Lámh Dhearg.

Fresh from their victory over Rossa it was St Gall’s who dominated with Niall Fallon once again displaying his lethal eye for goal from 3-03, Sean Bellew helped himself to 2-02 with Garric MacAdam again chipping in for the Milltown side with the other two points.

Adam Murray struck two goals in reply for Lámh Dhearg with Aidan McCague pointing but it wasn’t enough to prevent the Hannahstown side from falling to a 5-07-2-01 defeat at the hands of the Galls.

Lámh Dhearg’s outstanding game against Brid Og will take place on Wednesday evening with the equation clear – victory will keep their dreams of a semi-final place alive, while a Brid Og win would see them advance along with St Galls to the last four. Brid Og must also take on the Milltown two in a game that could be decisive in who tops the group



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.