St Patrick’s back in the title race after win over Con Magees

O’Neill’s All County Football League Division 3

Con Magees Glenravel  1-6 St Patrick’s Lisburn 1-10

St Patrick’s Lisburn got themselves back into the title race in Division 3 when they travelled to Glenravel on Wednesday evening and beat the Con Magees by 1-10 to 1-6, a result that sees them draw level with their opponents in the league table, though Glenravel do have a game in hand. At half time the home team appeared to be in a good position when they went in leading by 1-5 to 0-6, but in perfect conditions for football they managed just one point in the second half, and it came from a free deep into injury time.

Eoin Fay gave St Patrick’s an early lead with a point from a free but a point from Conor McNeill on five minutes had the home side level, and when Conleth O’Loan grabbed a goal two minutes later they appeared to be in charge. However the Lisburn men hit back with three points on the trot from Fay, and the McMullan brothers to tie the scores midway through the first half.

The home team appeared to be back in control of the match when they hit four without reply, two apiece from Declan Traynor and Conor McNeill, to open an 0-8 to 0-04 lead with half time just minutes away, but St Patrick’s finished the half strongly with points from Josh McMullan and Fay to leave just two between the sides at the break. (Con Magees 1-5 St Patrick’s 06)

5Conleth O’Loan scores Glenravel’s goal during the opening half. Pic by Dylan McIlwaine

Con Magees squandered a few good chances to increase their lead early in the second half and they were made to pay when Niall Ward pointed for the visitors to close the gap to the minimum on 36 minutes. St Patrick’s took the lead midway through the second half when Francis McMeel cut up the right wing and fisted a high ball into the Glenravel square where full forward Josh McMullan rose highest to punch the ball to the net.

Another Niall Ward point put the Lisburn men three clear and when corner forward Francis McMeel fired over the gap was out to four. Conor McNeill got Glenravel’s first score of the second half three minutes into injury time to leave just a goal between the teams but St Patricks had the final say and a pointed free by Conor Saunders left them winners by a four point margin.

CON MAGEES – Shaun O’Boyle, Conor Carey, Paul McCurry, Michael Laverty, Joshua McKeown, Eoin McCusker, Mark O’Connor, Conor Mhor Carey, David Higgins, Conleth O’Loan, Kieran McKeown, Declan Traynor, Conor McNeill, Martin McCarry, Gareth McKeown.

Subs – Ciaran O’Connor for Gareth McKeown; Paul Mulholland for David Higgins; Sean Paul McKenna for Conleth O’Loan.

ST PATRICK’S – Peter O’Neill, Martin Kennedy, Thomas Burns, Jack McMullan, Tighearnan O’Meallaigh, Mark Chernek, Tomas Fay, Mark Torbitt, Denver Taggart, Ben McMullan, Niall Ward, Parick Saunders, Joshua McMullan, Francis McMeel.

Referee – Vincent Boyle (Dunloy)

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Pics by Dylan McIlwaine

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.