St Gall’s secure semi final spot

Antrim Minor A Football Championship – quarter final

St Gall’s 1-14 Con Magees 1-7

St Gall’s secured a semi-final spot against Aghagallon when they beat Con Magees Glenravel in Tuesday evening’s quarter final if the Minor Football Championship at Milltown. The Glenravel boys had their chances, especially in the first half, but some wayward shooting and two excellent saves by St Gall’s goalkeeper Louis McCormick was their undoing as the home team raced to a 0-7 to 0-3 half time lead. After the break St Gall’s pulled clear to open up a 10 point lead and though the Con Magees grabbed a goal midway through the second half they could not bridge the gap as St Galls finished a comfortable seven points clear.4

Conor Maxwell gave St Gall’s an early lead when he pointed a 45 in the opening minute and after a scrappy opening Glenravel levelled on nine minute through Eoin Hynds. St gall’s were back in front a minute later when midfielder Lorcan McIlroy found full forward mark McKenna with a well-placed pass and the full forward sent the ball over the bar for a 2-1 lead. Glenarvel then had a let off when St Gall’s blasted wide of an open goal but their respite was short lived and a minute afterwards corner forward Sean Stewart sent over their third point two minutes after that Conor Maxwell put them 0-4 to 0-1 clear with a well taken point.

Niall Burns increased the St Gall’s lead to four with a point in the 21st minute but Glenravel had their best spell of the match and a good move involving Rian Lennon and Declan McCloskey saw them denied when McCloskey’s goal-bound shot was blocked by McCormick in the St Gall’s goal, and though Lennon ended up pointing the rebound it was scant consolation. Conor Maxwell pointed to restore St Gall’s five point cushion but in first half injury time Darragh Donaghy hit a great score from forty metres for the visitors to cut their half time deficit to four point. (0-7 to 0-3)30

If Glenravel were to get back into the game they needed a good start to the second half, but it was the home team who got it when Niall Burns and Odhran McDonald added points after a dominant spell of possession. Sean McKay kept the Con Magees in touch when he pointed a free from 20 meters on 35 minutes but St Gall’s put themselves firmly in the driving seat soon afterwards when Sean Stewart took advantage of a mistake in the Glenravel defence following a short kick-out to grab the first goal of the game. When they added two quick points through Mark McKenna and Sean Stewart Glenravel were in deep trouble, though they grabbed a lifeline on 44 minutes when a quick free kick by Sean McKay put Eoin Hynds through on goal and he sent a left footed drive high into the St Gall’s net. When McKay added a point a minute later the gap was back to six, but that was as close as they would get as St Gall’s got back on top with two quick points by Mark McKenna.

Sean McKay had two more points for Glenravel but Niall Burns, Mark McKenna and substitute Conail Smyth replied to seal a convincing win.31


Louis McCormick, Oran McIlhatton, Conor Murray, Conla Maguire, Matthew McCaffrey, Conor Ryan, Ronan Gilligan, Lewis McGarvey, Lorcan McIlroy, Paul McLoughlin, Connor Maxwell, Odhran McDonald, Niall Burns, Mark McKenna, Sean Stewart.


Conleth O’Loan, Declan McAuley, Sean McCusker, Darragh Donaghy, Cathal Hynds, Ruairi Lennon, Declan McCloskey, Eoin McCusker, Shane O’Boyle, Eoin Hynds, Christopher Laverty, Sean Paul McKenna, Sean McKay, Rian Lennon, Calum Higgins.

Referee – Fionntan McCotter (Sarsfields)

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Pics by Dylan McIlwaine

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.