O’Ds crush Mitchell’s to advance to last four

The Devenish Antrim Junior Football Championship Quarter-final

O’Donnells 3-14-0-04 Mitchell’s

From Kevin Herron at Woodlands

O’Donnell’s took their time to settle into the contest – but eventually ran out convincing 3-14-0-04 winners over Mitchell’s in this evenings Devenish Antrim Junior Football Quarter-final clash at Woodlands.

Despite a sluggish start, a converted penalty from Patrick Meenan ensured his side led 1-06-0-03 at the break and 2-07 without reply; including a brace of goals from full-forward Jonathon O’Donnell saw the men from the Whiterock Road take their place in the semi-final.

Mitchell’s claimed the opening score of the contest inside the opening sixty seconds as Francis Dugan converted an early free.

It took O’Donnell’s 12 minutes to reply and level the game up,  but in that time they missed two clear cut opportunities for goal.

Paul Burns popped pass picked out Jonathon O’Donnell whose shot was blocked by Gabriel McIlhatton in the Mitchell’s goal.

McIlhatton had to be alert to turn away a shot from Burns in the 10th minute after a quick Caolian Loughran through ball.

O’Donnells eventually restored parity through a fine Steven Seawright point, following a great link-up with midfielder Padraig McCrory.

Patrick Meenan edged his side in front shortly afterwards and missed the opportunity to find the opening goal of the game just short of the midway point in the first-half.

The Mitchell’s defence were at sixes and sevens; struggling to clear their lines and Meenan let fly with a dipping shot that crashed off the post.

A converted free from Meenan extended his side’s lead and for the second time inside the opening twenty minutes – the woodwork came to the rescue of Mitchell’s.

Padraig McCrory played a neat one-two with Paul Burns and let fly with a shot that rattled the crossbar, the move was kept alive but Conor O’Donnell got his angles wrong.

A sensational Steven Seawright point was immediately responded to by a second converted free from Francis Dugan.

On 23 minutes O’Donnell’s were presented with a fantastic opportunity to claim the opening goal as Padraig McCrory was tripped on route to goal and referee Colin Mallon signalled for a spot-kick.

McCrory would be forced to depart through injury, but not before seeing Patrick Meenan confidently rifle the resulting penalty past Gabriel McIlhatton to give his side a  1-04-0-02 lead.

The large post would assist Meenan’s next score from play and the sides traded frees before the break through Dugan and Meenan as O’Donnell’s held a 1-06-0-03 lead at the interval.

Conor O’Donnell extended his sides lead upon the resumption with James Hetherington (free) replying for Mitchell’s.

Hetherington’s converted free would prove to be his sides final score of the evening as O’Donnell’s ran amok in the remaining 25-minutes – scoring 2-07 without response.

Jonathon O’Donnell slipped in Meenan who opted for a fisted point and within two minutes the Whiterock side had their second goal of the contest.

On 36 minutes Conor O’Donnell played an intelligent pass into the path of Ciaran McKissock who hung the ball up for Jonathon O’Donnell and the full-forward palmed it home to give his side a commanding 2-08-0-04 lead.

O’Donnell and Meenan (free) added further points before substitute Conall Donegan shot into the side netting.

A tremendous Patrick Meenan point was soon followed up by a second score of the evening from Conor O’Donnell and 13-minutes from time O’Donnell’s hit the net for the third time.

Conor O’Donnell combined with Donegan who spotted Jonathon O’Donnell free at the back post and the full-forward slotted the ball past McIlhatton to make it 3-12-0-04.

Meenan (free) would take his personal tally to 1-08 for the evening and the rout was complete through a Patrick Golden point in injury-time.

In the end it was one-way traffic at Woodlands and O’Donnells advanced to the last four with 19-points to spare.

O’Donnell’s: C Walsh, G Diarmuid, J Lavery, J Rafferty, N Garland, C Walsh, C O’Donnell (0-02), P McCrory, S Close, C McKissock, S Seawright (0-02), P Meenan (1-08, 1-04f), C Loughran, J O’Donnell (2-01), P Burns. Subs: L Doyle for P McCrory (26); C Donegan for C Loughran (35); P Golden (0-01) for P Burns (47); S Og McVeigh for J O’Donnell (48); R Rafferty for C O’Donnell (52); K McCloskey for C McKissock (52).

Mitchell’s: G McIlhatton, J Lunney, V Dugan, E Webb, M McGovern, J O’Connell, A McIlhatton, F Dugan (0-03f), J Hetherington (0-01f), S McIlhatton, P O’Hagan, C McIlhatton, A Mac Giolla Cathain, P Smyth, J Beales.

Referee: Colin Mallon (Aghagallon).  

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.