Creggan at the double

Homefit ACFL Division 1

Aghagallon 0-7 Kickham’s Creggan 0-14

Creggan returned to winning ways on Wednesday evening with an emphatic double points victory over Aghagallon. The visitors controlled the play from the start and although St Mary’s mounted more of a challenge in the second half the damage was done in the opening thirty minutes.

Jamie Mc Cann opened the scoring with a free from the 20 metre line and the lead was doubled when Frank Mc Auley rose well to take a mark and steadied himself to put it over the bar. Aghagallon tried to get a grip of the game but Pauric Maginnis was having to battle for possession in the forward line and their cause wasn’t helped when the young forward picked up a hand injury in one tussle and had to retire before the water break. 

Darryl Mc Alernon did pull one back but Jamie Mc Cann showed that he could be as accurate from 45 metres as he was from 20 with another free. With a lot of possession Creggan tried to put the ball into their forwards early and when Tiarnan Burke was fouled he put the free over himself. Darryl Mc Alernon halved the scores again with a free from 45 metres. However after this the game started to get away from the hosts, Jamie Mc Cann stepped up to take another 20 metre free wide on the right hand side but his job was made easier when some dissent from within the home defence saw it moved in and he obliged. Feeling that decisions were going against

them St Mary’s lost focus and Tiarnan Mc Ateer, Sean Duffin and Aidan Mc Keown all collected points before the break

Half Time

St Mary’s 0:02 Kickhams Creggan 0:08

As with the first half Jamie Mc Cann opened the scoring, this time from play fisting over the bar when he was released down the left hand side by Odhran Mc Larnon.

Tiarnan Burke took a mark and slotted over to extend the lead. The same player had an opportunity from the penalty spot when James Crossey fouled Tiarnan Mc Ateer but he put the ball over the bar – the penalty coming when St Mary’s thought they had a free but the referee judged Jack Lenehan to have over carried and while the hosts protested the visitors took a quick free. Ruairi Mc Cann was introduced for St Mary’s and came off the square to collect a pass and turned nicely to split the posts.

Another free for Creggan was moved closer to goal and Tiarnan Burke converted. Jack Lenehan got a free of his own and Niall Mc Shane got the next score, Damien O Hagan found Steven Branagan from a goal kick and he passed to Mc Shane who did well to shrug off his marker, create space for himself and slot it over. Ruairi Loughran got another free for St Mary’s as Creggan eased off the pressure.

The last ten minutes saw Loughran convert another free and the game was allowed to run out to a scrappy end with ill-discipline from both teams – the scoring was completed with points from Odhran Mc Larnon and Frank Mc Auley

Aghagallon:D O Hagan, S Branagan, R O Neill, S Devlin, J Crossey, J Lenehan (0:01 f), J Lamont, D Marshall, N Mc Shane (0:01) , J Hannon, C Mc Kavanagh, M Mc Afee, R Mc Shane,

P Maginnis, D Mc Alernon (0:02 1f)

R Mc Cann (0:01) R Loughran (0:02 2f)

Creggan: P Graham, E Carey-Small, S Maguire, J Mc Ateer, A Maguire, J Mc Cann (0:04 3f), K Burke, T Mc Cann, A Mc Keown (0:01), M Rodgers, T Mc Ateer (0:01), S Duffin (0:01)

F Mc Auley (0:02), T Burke (0:04 3f) O Mc Larnon (0:01)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.