Late surge secures a share of the spoils for Glenavy

Antrim Football League Divsion 2

Glenravel 1-12    Glenavy 0-15

Pics by Neal O’Boyle

Glenavy came back from four points down early in the second half with a flurry of five points in the final fifteen minutes to secure a share of the points in this close encounter at Fr Maginn Park. Indeed had their ace marksman, Fergal Henry, pointed a last minute 45 they would have returned home victorious but his effort curled agonisingly right of the target just as referee Gerard Dougan called time on this somewhat quiet affair. The game seemed to lack a bit of spark throughout, perhaps a result of matches coming fast and furious in this post lockdown euphoria.

Eoin Hynds got the home side off to a good start in the opening minute but that was quickly followed by three scores on the trot from Fergal Henry, Peter Treanor and Fergal Green. Aiden O’Donnell restored parity on the scoreboard with a couple of points and indeed, the same player scored two more after Fergal Henry again pointed a free so we entered the first water break with Glenravel ahead by the narrowest of margins 0-05 to 0-04. That water break must have quenched a thirst in Fergal Henry as he put over three further scores in as many minutes to nudge Glenavy ahead by two. Glenravel’s Declan Traynor and Callum Higgins drew their side level and with five minutes remaining of the first half, Eoin Hynds burst through Glenavy’s defence and put Sean McKay clean in for the game’s only goal. The visitors had the final say of the first half though when Fergal Green popped over a free on the stroke of half time to leave them trailing by two 1-07 to 0-08.

A resurgent Glenravel added two more points at the start of the second half and looked to be getting into their rythym with a four point margin but again Fergal Henry pegged them back with two frees in two minutes. Hynds restored Glenravel’s three point advantage ten minutes into the second half and that is how things stood at the final water break. Again, the water seemed to help Glenavy more than their opponents as they would go on to score a further five points from play in the final fifteen minutes during which time Glenravel’s only reply came from Connor McNeill. Glenavy’s points coming from big full forward Peter Treanor, Daragh Doherty and three from Fergal Henry.  Somehow Glenavy had wrestled the lead from their opponents and looked the more likely to secure victory but McNeil again popped over a lovely score in the final minute of ordinary time to level the game. With a couple of added minutes played, Glenavy were awarded a 45 and both sets of spectators expected Fergal Henry to continue his rich vein of form but unfortunately for him the ball went just right of the right hand upright and the green and white lads breathed a collective sigh of relief.

This was a fairly even game which both sides will consider they could and should have won. As such, a draw was probably the right result.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.