Lámhs find their golden touch in second half

U-17 Football League Division 3

St Pat’s Lisburn 1-06-4-11 Lámh Dhearg

Kevin Herron reports from Kirkwoods

Lámh Dhearg found their goal scoring touch in the second period after a nightmare first half saw them squander almost half a dozen goal chances and trail to Luca Mulholland’s strike at the other.

Kieran Fay-Kelly pointed in the opening sixty seconds, but things should have been much better with no-less than three goal opportunities spurned in the process. It was a sign of things to come in the half as Oliver Carvill’s goal would lead a charmed life.

St Pat’s Lisburn were back on terms when Charlie Dooley McLaughlin burst forward with confidence and got his angles right.

The visitors regained the lead when Fay-Kelly found Eoin Campbell and was fouled in the process- Campbell then converted the resulting free and minutes later Aidan McCague steered his shot over the bar at the near post.

Lisburn battled back on terms with Dooley McLaughlin conjuring up his second point, things could have been better though with a goal opportunity presenting itself from Luca Mulholland’s popped pass. Owen Brady then converted a free to draw the sides level at 0-03 apiece.

It was a frustrating half for the visitors who continued to spurn some glorious goal chances in attack, and it was compounded when St Pat’s found the opening goal and edged in front for the first time.

Rudi Smyth was alert and cut out an attempted clearance and quickly switched the ball to Luca Mulholland who blasted past Rhys Camlin in the Lámh Dhearg goal.

Another glorious chance went abegging at the other end when Kieran Fay-Kelly combined with Aidan McCague who slipped in Eoin Campbell – but the half forwards chance was inches past the post.

Conor Ward would extend his sides lead with a further point and before the break Kieran Fay-Kelly landed a point from range to ensure that a goal separated the sides at the midway point.

Lámh Dhearg hit the opening score of the second period when Fay-Kelly played a one-two with Campbell and split the posts.

A minute later and the visitor’s bad luck in front of goal suddenly changed, Donal Martin slipped the ball into the path of Eoin Campbell who blasted to the net to give his side a 1-05-1-04 lead.

It was level pegging again momentarily thanks to Conor Ward- who converted a free and drew St Pat’s level.

It was short lived though as Ciaran McLaughlin fed Kieran Fay-Kelly who picked his spot to make it 2-05-1-05.

Lámh Dhearg had Rhys Camlin to thank for protecting their lead as Ward found Luca Mulholland in space and Camlin was forced to steer Mulholland’s effort to safety- the first of a number of key saves the Lámhs shot stopper would parry in the second period.

A Donal Martin point would extend his sides lead and further points followed through Eoin Campbell from a free and another from play- Fay-Kelly provided another superb point.

Just before the second half water break the visitors conjured up their third goal of the half, Donal Martin picked up possession and went on a confident burst forward and the composure to finish low to the net.

Their fourth would arrive almost immediately after the break as Eoin Campbell lifted it over the goalkeeper and into the net to make it 4-09-1-05.

Kieran Fay-Kelly and Rudi Smyth traded points from frees in the aftermath and it was from the same scenario that the scoring for the day was complete with Fay-Kelly bringing his afternoon tally to 1-06 with his second free of the afternoon to ensure his side ran out winners and clocked up a third successive win.

St. Pat’s Lisburn: O Carvill, J Murray , T Ryan, P McLean, E McDonagh, J Mulholland, E Oakes, A Beattie, J McMullan, R Smyth (0-01f), O Brady (0-01f), C Dooley-McLaughlin (0-01), C Ward (0-02, 0-01f), L Mulholland (1-00), J Rafferty. Subs: P Cunningham for C Dooley- McLaughlin (46), C Gorman for E Oakes (48), Z Abu-khiran for J Rafferty (48), O Crossey for J Murray (53).

Lámh Dhearg: R Camlin, C McGarry, D Young, O Kane, C McLaughlin, E Stanley, D McGreevy, D Martin (1-00), A Morrow, D Clelland, E Campbell (2-03, 0-02f), A McCague (0-01), C Tumlety, K Fay-Kelly (1-06, 0-02f), E Mackie. Subs: C Camlin for O Kane (HT), S Doran for C McGarry (HT), A Din for D Clelland (HT), O Lee for A McCague (43), S Neeson for E Campbell (48), D O’Connor for E Mackie (52).

Referee: Thomas Toland (Davitts)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.