Cargin Boys Keep on the Winning Trail

South West under-12 Football League

St Ergnat’s Moneyglass 1-10 Erin’s Own Cargin 5-07


The Cargin under-12 combination have really caught the eye with their exploits thus far in 2017 in remaining unbeaten in their progress through the South west leagues, and they continued in such positivity on Friday evening when they gained a further win at the expense of their parish rivals St Ergnat’s Moneyglass.

The League leaders did add a couple more points in this one as they managed to complete with a 5-07 to 1-10 winning advantage but in the event they had to be at their best to see off the gallant home side.

Moneyglass certainly made the better start to proceedings and centre forward Sean Boyd had the leather between the uprights twice in the opening minutes to see the St Ergnat’s side away with advantage.

The home side did look really up for the game in the early phase standing tall in the defensive but although it did take the Cargin boys a while to settle and after missing a couple of chances to open account they were off the mark in stylish opening in the 7th minute as Diarmuid Quinn nipped inside his marker to receive Ben Mc Larnon’s cross and despatch to the corner of the net.

The vistors having opened account did double their tally a couple of minutes later as Cahir rose to collect in the middle and when the leather was forwarded to Diarmuid Quinn via Callum Gribbin the corner man promptly fired onwards into the back of the net.

The home side were quick to return fire as Kevin Mc Cann and Paul Duffin combined to send the impressive Tiernan Mc Cormack in for a point but when the resultant kick out was fielded by Cahir O’ Boyle who did impress in the early period the delivery onward collected by Ben Mc Larnon saw the wing back transfer to the back of the net.

Charlie Mc Cann who had replaced the stricken Callum Gribbin announced his arrival on the scene when he split to posts in the latter stages of the opening period with a fine point after a stout interception at the back by Ben Darragh opened the way.

The home side had the last say in the opening twenty minute period as a foul on the advancing Tiernan Mc Cormick was fully punished when the mid-fielder sent the award over the bar from 30 metres.

Cargin led 3-02 to 0-04 at the short whistle.

Moneyglass did start well in the second portion and a trio of early points when Paul Duffin, Jimmy Mc Laughlin, and Tiernan Mc Cormick reduced the deficit and indeed offered hope at come-back.

A Ben Mc Larnon point did come to settle the Cargin boys but they really looked for the abilities of their net-minder as Daniel Mc Cann was called upon to make a couple of outstanding saves as he had to stand tall to deny both Paul Duffin and Sean Boyd access over his goal line.

Sean Boyd did add a point to the home side’s tally when he delivered over the bar in the 25th minute and when he added a goal within a minute they seemed on the march

Ryan O’ Neill followed with a point for the visitors a minute thereafter and when the flame haired corner man collected from Diarmuid Quinn after a solo approach from the outstanding Conhuir Johnston to add a fine goal the Cargin boys had regained in composure,

The Moneyglass side were not to be knocked out of stride however as they sought a way through but Cargin replacement Hugh O’ Boyle was more than solid at the back in impressive defensive and it was his interception to halt the ever dangerous Alicia Boyd on approach and clearance directed to Ryan O’ Neill saw the latter add a point.

A fine Kevin Mc Cann 33rd minute point hinted at home for the home side but such light ignited at the end of the tunnel was dimmed again as the Toome boys returned to the offensive again and points in turn from Conhuir Johnston and Cillian Scullion slammed the door to possible comeback slammed in the faces of the St Ergnat’s side.

Tiernan Mc Cormick did return to the coal face again in the 37th minute to add another point for the Moneyglass side but when Conhuir Johnston completed a long solo to underline his undoubted class when finishing to the back of the net and replacement Pat O’ Neill added a point the die was well cast.

The home side did have the last say on the matter however and it was left to the excellent Tiernan Mc Cormick to bring the curtain down on a lively encounter as he directed a 41st minute free all the way over the bar just ahead of the long blast which signalled a 5-07 to 1-10 victory for the Erin’s Own side

Referee M Mc Donald (St Gall’s)



Callum Graham, Finn Mc Closkey, Seannan O’ Boyle, Mark Duffin, Kevin Mc Cann (0-01), Jimmy Mc Laughlin (0-01), Paul Duffin (0-01), Tiernan Mc Cann (0-05), Alicia Boyd, Sean Boyd (1-02), Aoife Kelly, Rory Taggart.


Caoimhe Mc Erlean


Daniel Mc Cann, Aidan Lynn, Sarah O’ Neill, Patrick Mastick, Ciaran Mc Peake, Ben Mc Larnon (1-02), Brian Darragh, Cahir O’ Boyle, Conor Johnston (1-02), Callum Gribbin, Cian Scullion (0-02), Ryan O’ Neill (1-00), Diarmuid Quinn (2-00)


Hugh O’ Donnell

Jack Harney

Charlie Mc Cann (0-01)

Brogan Martin

Pat O’ Neill (0-01)

Fintan O’ Donnell

Eoin Scullion

Karl Mc Cann

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.