Paddies power past Pearses to junior final


Sarsfields 3-22-0-06 Pearse’s43S

By Kevin Herron at Rossa Park

A facile 3-22 to 0-6 win saw Sarsfields ease their way to the final of the Antrim Junior football championship at the expense of Pearse’s at Rossa Park on Thursday evening.

The Paddies had just too much knowhow and firepower for the North Belfast men as they booked a final place against St Patrick’s Lisburn and kept their hopes of a Junior Football/Intermediate Hurling double very much alive.

Sarsfields were strong from the start  and a fisted point from Sam Walsh in the opening minute and a superb point from Kevin McKernan gave them early control.

Pearse’s came back strongly and a Frank McCallan brace had his team level on 2 points apiece but when Walsh restored Sarsfields lead soon afterwards and the Paddies began to take control.

Kevin McKernan and Gary Lennon pointed to give their side a three-point lead 0-05-0-02 and with McKernan on top form he hit a series of excellent points to give his team a 0-09-0-02 lead.

Daniel McKernan came close to grabbing the opening goal but his shot came back of the frame of the but the Sars fans didn’t have long to wait as one minute later Jim McMenamin was put clear before steering the ball past Largey in the Pearses goal to make it 1-10-0-02.

There was no let up in the Sarsfields pressure as Kevin McKernan and Thomas Doherty pointed and Frank McCallan added points to give their team a commanding 1-13-0-03 lead at the short whistle.

Patrick Nolan grabbed the first score of the second half for Pearses  but within two minutes it was wiped out as Gary Lennon sent over his second point of the evening for the Paddies.

Sarsfields were now in full flow and they added a series of top class points to stretch the advantage to 1-17-0-04 midway through the half.  Niall McDonald added two more as the gap became wider and soon afterwards a superb point by Daniel McKeranan put the gap out to twenty. Indeed it could have been worse for Pearses as Sarsfields came close on three occasions to grabbing goals, only to be denied by the woodwork.

Pearses ended a long scoreless spell with a point from Daniel Magee but the goal that Sarsfields had threatened came soon aftewards when Lennon got through for goal number 2.

McCallan pulled one back from a free for Pearses but McMenamin grabbed his side’s third goal just before end to complete the victory.

Sarsfields: M Brady, M McPolin, A Brady, J Daniels, D McGuinness, N McAlea, C Lavery (0-01), G Lennon (1-04), C Murray, S Walsh (0-02), K McKernan (0-08,0-03f), D McKernan (0-03), T Doherty (0-02), J McMenamin (2-00), N McDonald (0-02). Subs: C Glenholmes (0-01) for D McGuinness, R Hughes for M McPolin (46 mins), R McIlvenny for K McKernan (52 mins), E Quinn for D McKernan (53 mins).

Pearses: D Largey, D O’Neill, T McFarlane, C McCavana, P Nolan (0-01), C O’Neill, L Kelly, D Phoniex, P Donaghy, A McCavana, D Magee (0-01), F McCallan (0-03,0-01f), C Davidson, E McKenna, C Campbell. Subs: N Gibson for D Phoniex (37 mins), C Davidson for A McCavana (37 mins), R Cash for E McKenna (48 mins), P Parker for F McCallan (59 mins).

Referee: Conall James Roberts (St Johns’)






Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.