St. Gall’s pip Glenarm in great U16B final

St. Gall’s 4-17 Glenarm 3-12

St. Gall’s finished strongly to pip a battling Shane O’Neill’s, Glenarm in an excellent U16B hurling final at Lamh Dhearg on Saturday. The game was played as an opener to the Intermediate hurling championship final that followed and kept the good crowd suitably entertained as both sides served up some excellent hurling.

The Feystown lads got off to the better start and raced into a 0-3 to 0-1 lead with Ciaran Magill on the 40 leading the way. Slowly though the Milltown Row boys settled and began to play some great combination hurling and points from Dara Delaney, Stefan Murray and Dualta Wilson saw them move 0-7 to 0-4 ahead at the end of the opening quarter.

Glenarm responded and a great goal from Jay Rowan tied the contest and as the North Antrim side enjoyed a period of supremacy Sean O’Boyle and Ciaran Magill split the uprights to edge them two in front.

Jay Rowan, who was playing at full-forward despite wearing number 9, made a great catch and fired over but might have had a goal as Shane O’Neill’s edged three in front but St. Gall’s came back strongly in the closing minutes of the half.

Dara Delaney began the comeback from a pointed free and Dualta Wilson, followed with another before getting in for his sides opening goal after Anthony Berry had made a good save to turn away his initial effort. That left the City side 1-11 to 1-8 ahead at the break with all still to play for in the second half.

Dualta Wilson batted the sliotar to the net at the start of the second half to extend St. Gall’s lead and substitute Sean Stewart added a point but Glenarm replied through Ciaran Magill and the same player looked to be in for a goal but Jack Doherty brought off a great save to deny the number 11.

Dara Delaney extended the St. Gall’s lead as play swung end to end but the excellent Magill replied with a couple at the other end to close the gap to four. The equally impressive Dara Delaney edged the Milltown side six ahead and an excellent effort from Aodh Mullan from 60 meters saw the Blues seven in front going into the final ten minutes.

Glenarm looked out of it at this stage but responded positively again with a point from Aidan Scullion and a goal from Jay Rowan who finished to the net from close range to put his side back into contention.

The momentum was once again with the Feystown boys and a goal from Sean O’Boyle brought them level with six minutes remaining after they had had an earlier major disallowed but when a long range effort from Connla McCarthy dipped to the Glenarm net the momentum was back with St. Gall’s.

The Milltown Row side finished strongly with a scrambled goal from Niall Fallon to see them run out winners by a rather flattering eight points which scarcely does justice to a Shane O’Neill’s side who were in contention until late in the game and certainly played their part in making this an excellent final.

St. Gall’s: Jack Doherty, Malachi McCluskey, Daire Bunting, Christopher Lundy, Niall Murtagh, Caolan McCarthy, Oisin McDonnell, Brendan Murray, Stefan Murray, Fergus Donnelly, Dara Delaney, Daniel Churchill, Adam Churchill, Connla Maguire, Dualta Wilson. Subs: Sean Stewart, Aodh Mullan, Niall Fallon

Shane O’Neill’s: Anthony Berry, Odhran Daly, Matthew Black, Coire Mellon, Ronan Rodgers, Liam McLoughlin, Michael McGarel, Aidan Scullion, Jay Rowan, Shay McGregor, Ciaran Magill, Niall McGarel, James O’Kane, Sean O’Boyle, Patrick McLoughlin.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.