Davitts have too much for St Malachy’s

ValueCabs Beringer Cup 

Davitts 3-13-0-04 St Malachy’s 

By Kevin Herron from Woodlands 

Davitts secured the third vacant semi-final spot in the ValueCabs Beringer Cup after a 3-13-0-04 win over St Malachy’s at Woodlands this evening. 

The Falls Road side were always in control and a first half double from Daniel Largey sent them on the way to victory with substitute Gerard Nugent rifling home a third goal with the game already a foregone conclusion. 

Having accounted for St. Paul’s in the last weeks preliminary round game, Davitt’s started as favourites and hit the front early on as Christopher Rafferty fed Stephen McGivern who fired over the bar. 

St Malachy’s immediately restored parity through an excellent Karl McCavana point – though by the time the East Belfast side would register again they had a mountain to climb. 

Aaron Slane restored Davitt’s lead with a fine shot that snuck inside the large post and Niall Hughes followed up with another shortly after. 

Slane converted a free and on ten minutes the opening goal of the contest arrived – Stephen Toner pulled the ball across to Daniel Largey and Largey made no mistake, rifling past Sean Turley to give his side a 1-04-0-01 lead. 

Aidan Connor’s responded for St Malachy’s with a fine shot that just managed to sail in at the near post. 

Aaron Slane then converted a free and namesake Caomhan shot over from play before the second goal of the game arrived ten minutes before the break. 

In a carbon copy of the opening goal it was Stephen Toner who laid the ball into the path of Daniel Largey who fainted a shot and slide the ball past Turley to move his side 2-06-0-02 ahead. 

Two further points arrived before the break through corner-forward a Christopher Rafferty – Patrick Turley responded from a free in between for St Malachy’s but his trailed 2-08-0-03 at the interval. 

Davitt’s had three attempts to secure the third goal of the game; three minutes into the second-half – Aaron Slane was denied by the post and a brave block, the danger was recycled to Daniel Largey who let fly with another attempt that was charged down before the danger passed. 

Aaron Slane would convert a free to open the second-half scoring – Patrick Turley responded with St Malachy’s final score in the aftermath as Davitts took control of the final fifteen minutes. 

Slane followed up his converted free with another two from the same scenario to increase his sides lead, 2-11-0-04. 

Davitts were ruthless and their next score came from incredible work rate as Pearse Arkerton closed down Aidan Connors and Aaron Slane slipped Stephen McGivern through and McGivern steadied himself before steering the ball over the bar. 

Slane converted his fourth free of the half shortly afterwards and sixty seconds later the final score of the game arrived. 

With little over five minutes remaining Pearse Arkerton played a one-two with McGivern and saw his shot parried by Turley in the St Malachy’s goal and substitute Gerard Nugent pounced to rifle home from close range and complete a 3-13-0-04 win for his side. 

Davitts will now meet St John’s in the ValueCab’s Beringer Cup semi-final on November 7th with the last of the Quarter-finals to take place next sunday between local rivals O’Donnell’s and Gort Na Mona at MacRory Park (2pm throw-in). 

Davitts: G Cosgrove, C Harkin, P Maguire, M Rowntree, C Toner, N Hughes (0-01), A Rainey, C Slane (0-01), N McParland, P Arkerton, D Largey (2-00), S Toner, C Rafferty (0-02), S McGivern (0-02), A Slane (0-07, 0-06f). Subs: G Nugent (1-00) for C Harkin (35 mins), T O’Neill for S Toner (35 mins), C Harkin for N McParland (46 mins). 

St Malachy’s: S Turley, C Galway, T Rice, G Rice, C Martin, C Connolly, N Doherty, M Connolly, A Dobbin, N Rice, S Dobbin, A Connors (0-01), K McCavana (0-01), P Turley (0-02), D Quinn. Subs: C Corr for G Rice (35 mins), D Gallagher for N Doherty (37 mins). 

Referee: Sean Moyes (Ardoyne). 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.