Cunning top scorer as University of Ulster ease into McGurk Cup decider


University of Ulster 1-21-0-12 Tyrone 

McGurk Cup – Ulster Hurling

By Kevin Herron at the Dub 

A University of Ulster team containg a lot of Antrim players booked a place in the decider of the Conor McGurk Cup after a comfortable 1-21-0-12 win over Tyrone at the Dub this evening. 

Dunloy ace Conal ‘Coby’ Cunning top scored with 0-09 as his side dominated proceedings to set-up a clash with Down in the final next Saturday evening. 

University of Ulster blood-sub James O’Connell opened the scoring from a 65′ and points from Conal Cunning and Shea Shannon (free) had the students 0-03-0-00 ahead. 

Peter McCallin and Cunning added further points and by the midway point in the opening half Ulster were 0-07-0-00 to the good thanks to Conor McHugh and McCallin chipping in with further scores. 

Tyrone were by far second best and opened their account for the evening through a converted Damien Casey free – Casey almost turned provider for the opening goal of the evening, though Paddy Carlin parried Tiarnan Morgan’s effort. 

Ciaran Lagan added the red hands second point of the evening – though four unanswered points evenly shared between Conal Cunning and Shea Shannon had University of Ulster leading 0-11-0-02. 

Casey (free) and Lagan added further points for Tyrone before the break – whilst Cunning conjured up his fifth point of the half to give his side a 0-12-0-04 lead at the interval. 

The sides traded early second-half scores through Peter McCallin and Damien Casey (free). 

Three scores in a row followed from Ulster through Shea Shannon, Conal Cunning and Kevin Rice with Sean Muldoon replying for Tyrone to make it 0-16-0-06. 

Conal Cunning and Donal McKernan converted successive frees with Chris Cross ensuring that Tyrone would keep the scoreboard ticking over. 

In the aftermath of Conal Cunning’s eighth point of the evening the only goal of the game arrived courtesy of corner-forward Daithi Sands. 

James O’Connell added his second point of the evening in the aftermath and a further Cunning free ended Ulster’s scoring for the evening. 

Tyrone ended the game strongly with sharpshooter Damien Casey adding four late points; three converted frees and one from play. The other points coming courtesy of John McGurk but in the end University of Ulster claimed their second win to set-up a final with Down in the decider next Saturday evening. 

University of Ulster: P Carlin, D Rush, T Burns, J Hopkins, M Fisher, R McGarry, D McKernan (0-01f), A Orchin, C McHugh (0-01), K Rice (0-01), P McCallin (0-03), L Dunphy, S Shannon (0-04,0-02f), C Cunning (0-09, 0-02f), D Sands (1-00). Subs: N Crossan for D Rush (30+5 mins), J O’Connell (0-02) for C McHugh (31 mins), R Elliott for P Carlin (31 mins), C McBride for L Dunphy (44 mins), C Hanna for S Shannon (47 mins). 

Tyrone: C McElhatton, D Rafferty, M Winters, J Kerr, S Muldoon (0-01), D Begley, C Cairns, C Cross (0-01), R McKernan, J McGurk (0-01), T Morgan, C Lagan (0-02), M Mulgrew, D Casey (0-07, 0-06f), B Gormley. Subs: J Fox for M Mulgrew (31 mins), L O’Donnghaile for J Kerr (41 mins), C McNally for M Winters (47 mins), M Mulgrew for D Rafferty (60+2 mins). 

Referee: Fionntan McCotter (Sarsfields)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.