St Pauls and Johnnies claim Stout McDonald titles

South Antrim (U-14) Stout McDonald Hurling finals

From Kevin Herron at Sally Gardens

St Pauls and St Johns lifted Stout McDonald honours on Wednesday evening after both finals were played under lights in Sally Gardens.

Stout McDonald A Hurling final – St Pauls 4-08-0-00 Davitts

St Pauls completed the clean sweep of South Antrim U-14 Hurling competitions with a 4-08-0-00 win over Davitts in the A decider.

It took six minutes for the opening score to arrive on a cold and blustery evening in Poleglass, Shea Burns reacted quickest to bundle the ball over the line after Michael Kennedy had done well to keep out the initial effort.

Daire Maguire popped over his side’s first point of the evening and just before the tenth minute mark St Pauls struck their second goal of the game, Bairre Burns cut inside and his low shot fizzed off the post and into the back of the net to make it 2-01-0-00.

Midway through the half a third goal arrived as Lorcan Phillips wheeled away from danger and picked his spot in the net.

Phillips added a superb angled point with Daire Maguire doubling his account as St Pauls led 3-03-0-00 at the interval.

Phillips and Maguire picked up where they left off before the break as the duo added further points to their tally, Phillips opening the second-half tally and Maguire following up with another two executed scores.

Further points arrived through Bairre Burns and substitute Jack Conlon before goal number four arrived through sensational Daire Maguire.

Ryan McCoy floated the ball into the danger area and Maguire raced to the loose sliother ahead of Michael Kennedy and picked his spot in the net.

St Pauls may have further increased their lead – but Kennedy was alert to prevent a couple of further goals.

Davitts continued to battle right into the dying embers of the game, though it was St Pauls who ran out winners and added to their success in South Antrim Feile and league to compete the clean sweep of South Antrim honours at U-14 level this year.

Stout McDonald B Hurling final – St Johns 5-03-2-08 Brid Og

St Johns followed up on the success of their Nipper Quinn side on Sunday and lifted the Stout McDonald B title after a 5-03-2-08 win over Brid Og.

Ronan Donnelly gave the Johnnies a perfect start inside of three minutes as Brid Og goalkeeper Robert Scullion failed to keep out the wing-half forwards low drive.

Brid Og hit back through a fine point from Olibhear Corey though Michael Darragh converted a free to give his side a 1-01-0-01 lead.

The sides were level pegging after 15-minutes as Owen McCarney’s quick layoff to Pearse Hamill saw the number seven float a high ball over the head of Odhran Quinn and into the net.

Fionn McCallin, a hero from Sunday’s Nipper Quinn victory – edged the Johnnies back in front courtesy of a converted free, though a superb angled point from James Kelly restored parity again.

Brid Og nudged ahead for the first time with little over five minutes of the first-half remaining, James Kelly fed the though ball to Oisin McCluskey who rifled low past Quinn to give his side a 2-02-1-02 lead.

The Johnnies responded with a point from Ronan Donnelly and should have added a further goal before the whistle, though Lorcan McCallin’s shot was blocked on the line by Robert Scullion.

Pearse Hamill increased his sides lead with a point upon the second-half’s resumption – though the sides were drawn level for a third time just short of the half-hour mark.

Michael Darragh’s free crashed off the large post and Enda McGurk was loitering and flicked to the net to make it 2-03-2-03.

The Johnnies almost forged ahead again as Cahir Carbery’s 65’ fell short and was bundled to safety in the immediate scramble that ensued.

Though at the second time of asking Carbery’s free dropped into the danger area where Fionn McCallin was waiting to flick the ball to the net and make it 3-03-2-03.

Hamill (free) replied for Brid Og but a fourth St Johns goal would give the Corrigan side some breathing space with little under a quarter of an hour remaining.

Michael Darragh’s high free dropped underneath the crossbar and Conan McKinney appeared to bundle the ball over the line to make it 4-03-2-04.

Brid Og were denied an instant response as Owen McCarney saw his shot blocked by Odhran Quinn but Oliibhear Corey claimed his second point of the evening in the aftermath.

It was game set and match with eight minutes remaining in Sally Gardens, Fionn McCallin popped the ball into the path of Enda McGurk who volleyed home his sides fifth to open up a seven-point deficit (5-03-2-05).

Try as they might, Brid Og couldn’t find a third goal – which would have surely given them renewed hope.

They had to settle for a double from Niall McDonnell a superb point from Carl Mooney and at the conclusion it was St Johns who ran out deserving 5-03-2-08 winners.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.