Lamhs take control in second-half

Senior Reserve Football Group 1

Lámh Dhearg 3-12-1-08 Gort na Mona

From Kevin Herron at Hannahstown

Lámh Dhearg had it all to do at the break after Joe McDonnell netted to give Gort na Mona a 1-05-0-03 lead at the interval but a bright opening to the second half set the tone as the hosts found the net three-times in the last half-hour through substitute Brendan McCrudden, Francis Dugan and Carl Maxwell on route to a 3-12-1-08 win over the Gorts at Hannahstown on Wednesday evening.

Gort na Mona opened the scoring at Hannahstown through a converted free from Niall Melaney – though Francis Dugan converted twice from the same scenario to nudge Lámh Dhearg in front.

The visitors were back on terms through an angled Joe McDonnell point and despite Ross Murray squeezing the ball over to restore the Lamhs lead- Aodhan Dempster popped over the equaliser to level at 0-03 apiece.

A few minutes before the break the opening goal arrived as Joe McDonnell slide in to stab the ball past Mark McIlvenny and give the Gorts a 1-03-0-03 lead.

Niall Melaney then played a short free to Tim Scannell, took the return and popped the ball over before adding a second point moments later to ensure his side were 1-05-0-03 ahead at the midway point in proceedings.

Lámh Dhearg started the second period on the front foot as Aaron Ferris won back possession and slipped the ball to Jack Summersgill for a point.

Francis Dugan then saw his goal bound effort blocked and Summersgill popped over his second before turning provider for substitute Brendan McCrudden who rifled to the net past Niall Mooney to level the scores at 1-05 each.

Jack Summersgill edged his side back in front after a foul on Ferris, while lively and pacy wing-half forward Ferris got on the scoresheet himself after some neat work between Declan Straney and Carl Maxwell.

The Lámhs were on a roll and made it 1-05 without reply as Carl Maxwell split the posts but just before the midway point in the second period Gort na Mona finally responded through half-time substitute Ciaran Donnelly.

Carl Maxwell restored his sides three-point advantage after linking-up with Declan Straney but successive points from Melaney cut the deficit to the bare minimum with little over ten minutes remaining (1-09-1-08).

Lámh Dhearg again upped the ante in response and hit three-points without reply- Aaron Ferris combined with Francis Dugan with the later conjuring a score, Brendan McCrudden then fisted the ball over with Dugan again on target in the aftermath.

The two-late goals arguably flattered the hosts as Francis Dugan tucked the ball home after Chris Nolan won back possession in the defensive third and started a quickfire attack.

Dugan would turn provider as Carl Maxwell found the corner of the net late on to give his side a 3-12-1-08 win and move them joint second in the table ahead of a trip to leaders Portglenone on Friday evening.

Lámh Dhearg: M McIlvenny, R Fegan, M Lynch, P Larkin, C McVarnock, D Straney, C Nolan, C Hannon, R Diamond, F Dugan (1-04, 0-02f), C Maxwell, (1-02) A Ferris (0-01), R Murray (0-01), J Summersgill (0-03, 0-01f), J Trainor. Subs: D Larkin for C McVarnock (24), B McCrudden (1-01) for J Trainor (HT), C Plyford for C Nolan (60).

Gort na Mona: N Mooney, C Healy, C Devlin, P Cournane, J Connolly, J Reilly, D Cahill, C Magee, T Keenan, T Scannell, A Dempster (0-01), N Melaney (0-05, 0-02f), J McDonnell (1-01), M Brady. Subs: C Donnelly (0-01) for M Brady (HT).

Referee: Barry Hotchkiss

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.