Saints sink Kickham’s with second half scoring blitz

Casement SC JHC Group 4

All Saints 2-27 Ardoyne 0-9

All Saints produced a second half scoring blitz to sweep aside the challenge of a battling but outclassed Kickham’s Ardoyne in round 2 of the Casement SC JHC at Quinn Park today. The visitors started brightly enough and recorded the opening two points of the game but once the home side found their scoring touch there was no stopping them.

Team captain Damian Gillan and Ciaran Neeson led the way and proved unstoppable as the deadly duo fired over points from every angle and distance, the best of these being a massive free from Neeson form all of 80 meters and by half time they led 1-12 to 0-7.

The visitors must have felt that they were still in with a chance but the Ballymena side added a further six points in the opening seven minutes of the second half to put the contest to bed with visitors Ardoyne only able to add two further points to their first half total.

It was visitors Ardoyne who got off to the better start and went 0-3 ahead through Enda Slattery and Hugh Grieve before Ciaran O’Boyle got the home side on their way. O’Boyle got in for the game’s opening goal in the 10th minute but Dee Morgan levelled the scores with a fine point in the 11th minute.

The home side took a time to settle but Damian Gillan pointed a couple of frees and Ciaran Neeson got his first from play and Padraig Magill added another before Hugh Grieve replied with his second for the visitors to leave it 1-4 to 0-5 at the first water break.

Ciaran Neeson and Padraig Magill extended the All Saints lead on the restart with Hugh Grieve and Dee Mogan responding for the visitors but two late points from the bustling Gary Miskella and another superb effort from Ciaran Neeson left the Quinn Park side 1-12 to 0-7 ahead at the break.

Whatever was said during the half time break must have registered with the home side as they came racing out of the starting blocks with points from Kevin Brady Damian Gillan, Ciaran Neeson, Cormac Magill, Gary Miskella and Gillan again to move into a commanding 13 point lead after seven minutes of the new half.

Ardoyne were still battling for every ball and some of the challenges from both sides were not for the faint hearted with no quarter being asked or given and the Kickham’s replied through Daniel Moore and Enda Slattery points in a couple of rare excursions into enemy territory.

Their success was short lived however as Damian Gillan replied with an immediate point and when Garry Miskella placed Ciaran Neeson he raced along the bye  line before firing a superb goal to the net from an acute angle and that was that.

Ciaran Neeson moved them 15 ahead by the second water break and on the restart the floodgates opened with the superb Gillan adding another five points and Ciaran O’Boyle and Cormac Magill adding further points to see the Ballymena men put one foot in the quarter-finals while Kickham’s Ardoyne face a difficult assignment against Rasharkin next day but can look forward to a tilt at the Junior B title.

All Saints: Ciaran Cassley, Conor O’Rawe, Colum Neeson, Declan McKee, Terence Diamond, Luke O’Rawe, Padraig Magill, Vincent Esler, Cormac Magill, Kieran O’Boyle, Damian Gillan, Ciaran Neeson, Rory McAllister, Gary Miskella, Kevin Brady. Subs: Brendan McDonnell for Cormac Magill, Joe Crawford for Ciaran Neeson, Darragh Hasson for Kevin Brady, Dwane McKee for Declan McKee, Ryan McAuley for Conor O’Rawe.

Ardoyne: Pearse Hull, Ryan Thompson, Pascal Clarke, Paul O’Haloran, Sean McGearty, Caolan Wallace, Eamon McLaughlin, Kealan McCallan, David Saunders, Matthew McKillen, Christopher McShane, Daniel Moore, Martin McLaughlin, Enda Slattery, Hugh Grieve. Subs: Paul McGuinness, Paul Maguire, Sean Searle, Connor Keenan, Stevie Hill

Referee: Paul Hughes (O’Donnell’s)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.