Lámhs secure semi-final spot

Creagh Concreate Minor Football B Group 1

St Pat’s Lisburn 1-03-5-15 Lámh Dhearg

From Kevin Herron at Kirkwoods Park

Lámh Dhearg ended the group-stage of the minor football Championship with a comfortable 5-15-1-03 win over St Pat’s Lisburn at Kirkwoods this evening.

Playing against the wind in the opening half the visitors largely controlled proceedings and hit the front through a converted Niall McGarry free early-on after a foul on Matthew O’Boyle.

McGarry was involved in his sides next score, playing a short free to Kieran Fay-Kelly who popped the ball over.

A foul on Fionn Mervyn then allowed Fay-Kelly to double his tally from the placed ball and a second converted free moments later moved the Lamhs into a four-point lead.

Fionn Mervyn then got in on the act after a super one-two between Niall McGarry and Ciaran Goss.

St Pat’s Lisburn finally responded through Che Smyth- who escaped the clutches of Niall McGarry and angled over a superb point.

Smyth almost turned provider as he slipped the ball to Logan Mallon who was denied by Rhys Camlin in the Lámhs goal.

Kieran Fay-Kelly would convert his third free of the half with Niall McGarry popping over from Ciaran Boyd’s layoff in the aftermath.

Just before the break the sides traded scores, St Pat’s second point arrived as Tom Grimley slipped the ball to Conor Ewing for a tremendous score. Kieran Fay-Kelly responded after drawing the foul and converting the resulting free to bring his personal tally to 0-05 and ensure his side were 0-08-0-02 ahead at the midway point.

Lámh Dhearg picked up where they left off before the break as substitute Daire Cunningham laid the ball to Niall McGarry who conjured his third point of the evening.

Better was to arrive for McGarry on the 35th minute as his floated pass towards Ciaran Boyd was spilt to the net by Oliver Carrvill.

That began the goal glut for the visitors with Kieran Fay-Kelly adding two further strikes in the immediate aftermath.

Aaron Carey rose highest to the resulting kick-out and the ball was recycled into the path of Kieran Fay-Kelly who rocketed to the net via the underside of the bar.

The young forward would claim his second less than 60-seconds later, Ciaran Boyd delivered the assist following some intelligent play from Ciaran Goss and Fay-Kelly blasted home to move his side 3-09-0-02 to the good.

A fabulous angled point from Aaron Carey followed and just before the second-half water break Che Smyth combined with Conor Ewing for a smart reply – a point.

After the brief stoppage Kieran Fay-Kelly had a hat-trick of goals on his mind but was denied with another vicious shot that crashed off the underside of the crossbar- Daire Cunningham picked up the loose ball and popped it to ensure a score was forthcoming in any instance.

Aaron Carey doubled his tally with a well taken point and the Lámhs fourth goal arrived through Ciaran Goss- whose shot deceived Carrvill.

A further point from Fay-Kelly followed before St Pat’s Lisburn claimed a consolation goal from the spot through a coolly taken penalty from Conor Ewing.

Fionn Mervyn responded with a point before Fay-Kelly took a pass from Ciaran Goss and found his third goal of the evening.

The Lámhs talisman would finish the evening with a point to finish with a personal 3-07 to his name as a place in the last four beckons for the Hannahstown side – who must wait for the outcome of the final group game between Ardoyne and Glenavy to determine their final positioning in the table and who they will meet in the final four.

St Pat’s Lisburn: O Carrvill, L McKeown, V Zaula, J McMullan, C Ewing (1-02, 1-00f), J Broderick, L McCutcheeon, C Smyth (0-01), C Loney, T Grimley, R Smith, J Mulholland, SP McKee, L Mallon, M McDermott.

Lámh Dhearg: R Camlin, C Rogan, A McCloskey, T McKenna, L Clarke, A Carey (0-02), D Clenaghan, D Murray, C O’Hara, K Fay-Kelly (3-07, 0-04f), F Mervyn (0-02), N McGarry (1-03, 0-01f), C Goss (1-00), C Boyd, M O’Boyle. Subs: R Morgan for C Rogan (HT), D Cunningham (0-01) for M O’Boyle (HT), A McCauge for L Clarke (38), M Flynn for D Clenaghan (38), C Rogan for C Boyd (49).

Referee: Mark McDonald (St Galls)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.