Lámhs on top at Kirkwoods

U-16 B Football Group 1

St Pat’s Lisburn 1-03-4-13 Lámh Dhearg

From Kevin Herron at Kirkwoods Park

Lámh Dhearg continued their unbeaten start in Group 1 of the U-16 B Football Championship with victory over St Pat’s Lisburn at Kirkwoods Park this evening.

The Hannahstown men took the lead inside the first sixty seconds after Aidan McCague pointed from Donal Martin’s darting run.

Eoin Campbell extended his sides lead before Kieran Fay-Kelly drove over a free off the ground.

On 12 minutes the opening goal fell to the visitors as Evan Stanley’s attempted point dropped to the net past Oliver Carvill in the St Pat’s goal.

Just before the first water-break in proceedings the Lámhs found their second goal, Eoin Campbell laid the ball off into the path of Odhran Kane who tucked the ball low into the net to make it 2-03-0-00.

St Pat’s Lisburn replied just after the break with Owen Brady confidently conjuring up a point, before a second arrived courtesy of Ray Brady after some great link-up with Jude Rafferty.

Lámh Dhearg responded with three scores on the spin before the half-time interval- Donal Martin picked off a fine point and further scores from Eoin Campbell (free) and Kieran Fay-Kelly ensured that the visitors were 2-06-0-02 ahead at the halfway stage.

It took a while for the opening score of the second period to arrive but Aidan McCague slotted the ball over the bar after claiming the kick-out.

Kieran Fay-Kelly scored 3-07 in the corresponding minor fixture between the sides on Thursday evening but was denied a goal by the base of the post – although Adam Murray was on hand with the follow-up to move the Hannahstown side 3-07-0-02 ahead.

Three further points followed from Eoin Campbell, Fay-Kelly and McCague in the aftermath and after the second water break substitute Shea Fegan popped the ball over and Eoin Campbell cut inside and shot low to the net.

Rudi Smyth responded with a point for St Pat’s, while Fay-Kelly and Fegan finished the Lámhs scoring for the evening.

Lisburn claimed a consolation goal with the final action of the game as Rudi Smyth smashed his close-range free to the net.

It had little bearing on the final outcome though as Lámh Dhearg continued their unbeaten start to the Championship.

St Pat’s Lisburn: O Carvill, J Murray, M McDermott, P McLean, E Oakes, J Mulholland, J Nugent, J McMullan, R Smyth (1-01f), R Brady (0-01), A Beattie, O Brady (0-01), J Rafferty, L Collins, C Doran.

Lámh Dhearg: R Camlin, D Cleland, E Breen, D Young, C McLaughlin, E Stanley (1-00), D McGreevy, A Morrow, D Martin (0-01), A McCague (0-03), K Fay-Kelly (0-03, 0-01f), E Campbell (1-04, 0-01f), O Kane (1-00), A Murray (1-00), S Nelson. Subs: S Fegan (0-02)

Referee: Conor Campbell (St Brigids)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.