Five goal St Gall’s advance to Reserve Cup final

Reserve Football Cup (semi-final)

St Gall’s 5-12 Erin’s Own Cargin 1-07

Photographs: Bert Trowlen

Fives goals, two in the opening period and a further three in the second thirty minutes earned a dominant St Gall’s side a place in the final of the Reserve Cup competition at the expense of Cargin at a cold and wet St Teresa’s on Saturday afternoon.

The Milltown side were quick into their stride and had nipped into a 0-03 to 0-01 advantage by the end of the 10th minute.

A Conor Stinton 2nd minute point opened their account and although the hard grafting Ronan Devlin made quick reply, further points from Ronan Gilligan and Niall Burns opened a two point gap as St. Gall’s took charge.

Ronan Devlin and Jamie Kennedy instigated a counter attack in the 12th minute but Kyle Johnston’s effort fell short of the target when a score looked likely and the resultant clearance was to prove costly.

St Gall’s corner back Jack Hopkins found Marc Mc Kenna in the clear and the full forwards shot hit the back of the Cargin net to make it 1-03 to 0-01.

The Toome men replied however and when Odhran Mc Guckin was first to react as Shay Bovill’s delivery came back of the post he fired the rebound to the net.

Erin’s Own, inspired by the major strike raised their efforts and a fine intervention and clearance by Dualtagh Johnston opened the way for Odhran McGuckin to split the posts and Shay Bovill followed suit to leave it all square, 1-03 apiece at the first water break.

On the restart Cargin pressed but the intervention of the St. Gall’s full back Conal Murray denied the Toome men a score.

In the event it was the Milltown side who were to hit the front again as a superbly struck long range Ronan Gilligan effort sailed between the posts and when full forward Mark Mc Kenna added another they were a couple ahead.

Odhran McGuckin reduced the deficit to the minimum again but St. Gall’s replied and Niall Burns directed a 40 metre free between the posts.

Cargin came close to adding to their tally in the 26th minute with Gavin Pollock’s long range attempt just drifting wide of the posts after net minder Tomas Laverty made a fine save to deny Mark Mc Kenna from point bank range when a goal looked certain.

The Milltown residents were not to be denied however and a slick Conor Stinton delivery paved the way for Conor Doherty to finish to the net.

The Toome men were reduced in number for the mandatory ten minutes when centre back Donnach Mc Keever was shown ‘black’ in the closing minutes and a long range Michael Hopkins point at the other end gave St. Gall’s a 2-07 to 1-04 interval advantage.

St Gall’s started the second half with the strong breeze and heavy rain at their backs and back two goals in the opening minutes put them in the driving seat.

Niall Burns fired to the bottom corner in the 3nd minute and when the Cargin net minder Tomas Laverty got a hand to a Conor Stinton shot, corner man Ciaran Delaney was first to react returning the leather to the back of the net.

The men from the Lower Falls were 4-07 to 1-04 ahead and the game looked as good as over. Jamie Kennedy set up Gavin Pollock for a point for the South West side but a trio of unanswered points from Michael Hopkins, Eoghan McCurdy and Niall Burns saw the gap stretch to 4-10 to 1-06 at the second water break.

St. Gall’s finished strongly as Eoghan McCurdy came forward to find the net with Gavin Pollock replying with a consolation point in the closing minute and it is St. Gall’s who now go forward to meet Creggan in the Reserve Cup final.


St Gall’s: Niall McCurdy, Eoghan Mc Curdy (1-01), Conal Murray, Jack Hopkins, Ronan Gilligan (0-02), Conor Rogers, Oisin Crawford, Caolan Chada, Kian Cruikshank, Michael Hopkins (0-03), Niall Burns (2-02), Conor Stinton (0-01), Conor Doherty (1-01), Marc Mc Kenna (1-01), Ciaran Delaney (1-01)

Cargin: Tomas Laverty, Sean og Quinn, Dualtagh Johnston, Jamie Kennedy, Brian og Devlin, Donnach Mc Keever, Eamon Laverty, Kyle Johnston, Mark Keegan, Ronan Devlin (0-01), Shay Bovill (0-01), Sean Mc Auley, Gavin Pollock (0-02), Ryan Mc Kiernan, Odhran Mc Guckin (1-03)

Referee D O’ Neill (Gort na Mona)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.