St Teresa’s stage second-half fightback to claim Junior B crown

Antrim Junior B Hurling Championship final

St Teresa’s 0-14-1-07 Davitts

Kevin Herron reports from Rossa Park

It was a game of two halves at Rossa Park this afternoon as St Teresa’s overcame a faulty first 30 minutes to claim the Antrim Junior B title with a 0-14-1-07 win over Davitts.

Cormac Maguire’s goal gave Davitt’s the early incentive and it took St Teresa’s until 20 minutes into proceedings to register a reply to the 1-05 they had conceded.

The breeze played a strong factor and shooting into the Shaws Road end in the second-half the super T’s clawed their way back into proceedings through talisman Phily Maguire and once they hit the front they didn’t look back.

St Teresa’s would have begun the game as favourites in the eyes of many but fell behind in the game.

Both sides struggled to stamp their authority with the breakthrough eventually arriving on 6 minutes as Cormac Maguire flicked the ball to the net to give Davitt’s a dream start.

Donn Whelan converted a free and corner-forward Christopher Gallagher floated over another score for the Falls Road side who had settled into the game well.

Further scores arrived as Peter Carleton picked off a point from range, Chris Gallagher then linked up with Maguire and Jason Park added another as Davitt’s had six-scores on the spin and were 1-05 to the good.

St Teresa’s struggled shooting into the Stewartstown Avenue end and Conor O’Rawe flicked a half chance wide of the post and Phily Maguire sent a free wide of the target.

Maguire would get side his up and running with back to back frees in quick succession and added a third before the interval as Davitt’s led 1-05-0-03 at the midway point.

St Teresa’s picked up where they left off at the break as Niall McGettigan and Conor O’Rawe closed the deficit with confident points.

Philip Maguire then converted his fourth free of the contest but Stephen McGivern was on-hand to reply at the other end.

Maguire would again close the deficit before the second-half water break and after the brief halt to proceedings St Teresa’s pulled level.

Substitute Darren McCann floated the ball over with Maguire then conjuring his first from play to leave the game finely balanced at 0-09-1-06 with little over ten minutes remaining.

The Glen Road outfit then edged ahead for the first-time through a Robert Gallagher point which just squeezed inside the large posts.

They doubled their lead through Jordan McAllister with Niall McCann angling over their fifth score on the spin.

St Teresa’s moved four-points ahead through Gallagher- though Davitt’s remained in touch with Cormac Maguire combining with Caoimhin Heaney for a point to leave three between the sides as the game entered time added on (0-13-1-07).

There were no nerves within the St Teresa’s ranks and Niall McCann came up with the insurance point from range to ensure that his side would claim the Junior B title at the conclusion of affairs on the Shaws Road.

St Teresa’s: C Mooney, A Dugan, G O’Rawe, J Magornan, C Rouse, R Gallagher (0-02), P O’Rawe, C McGoldrick, N McCann (0-02), S Maguire, P Maguire (0-06, 0-05f), J McAllister (0-01), C O’Rawe (0-01), K Burns, N McGettigan (0-01). Subs: D McCann (0-01) for K Burns (37), E Connolly for A Dugan (40), A Varndell for C O’Rawe (53).

Davitts: J McCaffrey, A Rainey, T Toland, R McIlroy, C Heaney (0-01), T Maguire, C McKee, M Rowntree, J Park (0-01), P Carleton (0-01), S McGivern (0-01), D Whelan (0-01f), C Maguire (1-01) A Rowntree, C Gallagher (0-01). Subs: M Tully for S McGivern (41), G Cosgrove for C Gallagher (52).

Referee: Paul McDonnell (Rossa)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.