Under 21 title completed a great year for the Lamhs in ’92

Lamh Dhearg 1992

Today we take a look at another chapter in the incredible story that is Lamh Dhearg 1992 when the club won Minor Hurling, Minor Football, U21 Football and Senior in the one season, as well as U14 and U16 football, which saw the club receive the Ulster Club of the Year from the GAA Writers Association. N.BThe Senior title was awarded to them because Cargin and St John’s were suspended after trouble in their semi-final.

Jim Herron receives the Ulster Club of the Year award at the Ulster GAA Writers Dinner

The Under 21 football was actually the last of the four. Although it  ended in November at Casement Park, it began back in May on a wet night at Hannahstown, and few who witnessed their lacklustre display against St Malachy’ s that evening would have fancied them to go all the way in the competition.

There were no great signs of improvement when they got the better of St Enda’s over at Hightown in the next round, but they got the job done before the competition was then shelved for the summer months.

By the time the semi-final was played against Cargin in late October things had changed dramatically, and with three titles already in the bag confidence was high as they took the field against the Toome men at St Paul’s. Cargin had much the better of the early exchanges and with big Eddie Quinn in great form at midfield they Lamhs struggled to stay in touch, though Braniff and Carmichael kept them in the game. Two points from full forward Colm McCabe midway through the second half brought the Lamhs back on level terms, but a well worked Cargin goal appeared to have secured the win for the Toome side. However all was not lost and in the final minute a ball sent in high to the Cargin square was punched home by Gavin Brown for the equalising goal, to earn Lamh Dhearg a replay.

That replay was fixed for Rasharkin and in truth most pundits made Cargin favourites once again. In what many looking back described as the best game of the year Cargin again looked the team most likely to succeed. Lamh Dhearg got off to a great start when Dee Braniff picked up a ball 45 meters from goal and soloed through before unleashing a shot from the 13 metre line which flew into the Cargin net. Cargin hit back with points from Quinn and Gallagher but two from the excellent Anto Finnegan give Lamh Dhearg the lead at the break. The pace slackened during the third quarter but after a row broke out midway through the half (which saw two players from each side sent off) the tension rose, and the quality of play rose with it.

With space aplenty around the pitch Cargin were magnificent and with Quinn, McQuillan and Gallagher in control they looked set for the win. However Finnegan and Rice kept Lamh Dhearg in touch and the game was still up for grabs. Cargin appeared to have it won once again when they too the lead with time almost up, but in one desperate move in the final minute the Lamhs snatched it from their grasp. Goalkeeper Gary Agnew started the move when he soloed out the field before finding Anto Finnegan with a great pass. Finnegan then took off and soloed into the Cargin defence before finding Kevin Finnegan who deftly chipped the Cargin goalkeeper for the match winning goal to set up a final meeting with St John’s

The Lamh Dhearg team who beat St John’s in the 1992 Under 21 final

Irish News – November 9th 1992

A Fistful of Title Wins  

Lamh Dhearg 1-10 St John’s 1-8

The Lamh Dhearg club collected their fifth championship title of the season at Casment Park yesterday when they beat a much fancied St John’s side in the Under 21 final. With the Under 14, Under 16, Minor Football and Hurling titles already in the bag they made it a full hand by upsetting the odds against the Johnnies.

This was a close entertaining game with a second half goal turning the course of events. The Corrigan Park side led by a point at half time, after finding themselves two behind 0-5 to 0-3 at the end of the first quarter.

Cormac Carmichael, Lamh Dhearg’s right half forward, undoubtedly the man of the match, proved that point when he found the St John’s net four minutes after the restart. Inspired by that score Lamh Dhaerg went further ahead with a point from Damian Braniff and a couple more from Carmichael to open up a 1-8 to 0-7 gap.

Despite the sidelining of Paddy Nugent, undoubtedly a vital link in the Johnnies defence, they hit back with a 27th minute Jimmy Wilson point. Carmichael pointed to put four in it once again four minutes later, but a scrambled goal, credited to Pat McStravick, with just three minutes remaining brought St John’s back into the game, but Mark Mulligan clinched it for Hannahstown with a point on the final whistle.

Cormac Carmichael, Gavin Brown, Paddy Tumelty and Pierce Rice were always to the forefront for Lamh Dhearg, who had a number for the successful minors on show.

Donal Gallagher, Paddy Nugent, Jimmy Wilson and Donal Kennedy fought hard for the Corrigan Park side.


Gary Agnew, Michael Gorman, Pierce Rice (capt), Darly Fegan, Patrick Tumelty, Stephen McFadden, Brenan Elliot, Gavin Brown, Donal O’Hara, Cormac Carmichael, Colin Mccabe, Anthony Finnegan, Mark Mulligan, David Braniff, Kevin Finnegan.

Subs – Michael Brady, Damian O’Connor, Kevin Hurley, Michael McGuigan, Brendan McCloskey, Paul McCloskey, Paul Maxwell, Colin Gorman, Michael McCloskey, Robbie Murray  

Manager Paul Buchanan                                                                      Selectors – Jim Brady, Pat McCague, Pat McCambridge

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.