Seven months late, but Antrim came through in the end.

Ulster Senior Hurling Final 2013 (Played February 2nd 2014)

Antrim 4-21 Down 1-17

Seven years ago today (February 2nd 2014) Antrim beat Down in the final of the 2013 Ulster Hurling Championship before 139 spectators at Celtic Park Derry. The game, which was originally fixed for July 7th 2013, but was then postponed until November, but alas it fell by the wayside as well.

Finally a date was agreed, thanks mainly to Down agreement. The men from the Ards had played Kildare in the semi-final of the Kehoe Cup the previous day and to make matters worse they had to travel all the way to the Maiden City (a distance of 101 miles for the Portaferry players) and it was no surprise that they ran out of steam near the end.

This was the match report on BBC online.

Antrim’s Neal McAuley in action against Down

Antrim ran out comfortable 4-21 to 1-17 winners over Down in the much-delayed 2013 Ulster Senior Hurling final in front of 139 spectators at Celtic Park.

The match had originally been scheduled to take place on 7 July last year, before being moved to November, and eventually to this mid-winter date.

Down competed well for much of the game but tired late on as they fulfilled their second fixture in 24 hours.

The Mournemen lost to Kildare in a Kehoe Cup semi-final on Saturday.

Paul ‘Shorty’ Shiels who impressed in the forward line for Antrim is seen here in action against Down’s Ryan Brannigan during the 2013 Ulster Senior Hurling final at Celtic Park, Derry.

Gareth Johnson suffered a suspected cruciate ligament injury during that game and will undergo a scan this week amid fears that he may be ruled out for the remainder of the season.

The Saffrons led from the start and enjoyed a 2-8 to 1-7 advantage at half-time with the help of goals from Ciaran Johnston and skipper Neil McManus.

A Danny Toner goal before the interval kept Down in touch and they trailed 2-12 to 1-12 with 20 minutes remaining, with Paul Sheehan scoring eight points in total.

Darren Hamill found the net for Antrim’s second goal 22 minutes into the second half and Conor Johnston scored the fourth.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.