Moneyglass make it two from two

ACFL Division 2 Reserve

Con Magee’s 0-10 Moneyglass 1-10

St. Ergnats Moneyglass withstood a late rally from Con Magee’s Glenravel to make it two wins from two starts in this year’s All County Division 2 Reserve league at Fr. Maginn Park tonight. For most of the game the visitors were in control despite being reduced to 13 men after 27 minutes of the first half with the home side losing a player at the same time following a skirmish.

It was Glenravel who opened the scoring through a Declan Diamond point but Moneyglass, playing with the aid of the breeze were quickly back on terms through Tyler Cassidy and the excellent Cassidy put them on the front foot when he fired to the net after 10 minutes.

The same player looked a threat every time he gained possession and he split the posts again after 14 minutes to extend the St. Ergnat’s lead with Glenravel introducing Joseph Sharkey and pulling Shanlee Kerr back into the half-back line in an attempt to curtail a lively Moneyglass attack.

Callum Higgins pulled one back from a free just before the water break but the home side were guilty of some poor shooting and wayward passing and on the restart Eoin McErlain and Aidan McErlain added quick points to move the visitors five in front.

Following a flare up referee Richard Leahy dismissed Aidan McCaffery of Glenravel and Moneyglass pair, Tyler Cassidy and Frank Duffin as Callum Higgins pointed a 40 meter free to close the gap to four but even with the extra man Glenravel were unable to cut further into the visitors lead by half time.

With the wind now in their favour and an extra man on the field it seemed only a matter of time before the home side would take advantage but with Donal Laverty now in action for the visitors it was they who continued to enjoy the better of the exchanges.

They moved further ahead through a couple of Connor O’Kane frees and when Luke O’Donnell added another from play with only eight minutes of the new half gone Moneyglass had moved seven in front and the Maginn Park side were struggling to put meaningful moves together.

Their cause suffered another setback as Shanlee Kerr became their second player to see Red and both sides were now playing with 13 men and Aidan McErlain fired over another visitors point in the 14th minute as his side continued to dictate proceedings.

Glenravel were still enjoying plenty of possession but were struggling to turn good approach work into scores but Declan Diamond finally got their second half scoring off the mark with a great point in the 16th minute.

Ryan McQuillan made it a father and son combination as he joined his father Michael in the Con Magee’s attack as the excellent Diamond added another point in the 20th minute to close the gap to six and when Adam Campbell tagged on another there were just five between the sides.

Aidan McErlain eased the pressure with a couple at the other end as the game entered the final five minutes and there looked to be no way back for the home side. To their credit Glenravel refused to quit and during the closing stages they laid siege on the visitor’s goal.

Callum Higgins pointing from play and converted a couple of frees before Gary Murray in the St. Ergnat’s goals made an excellent blocking save to deny Declan Diamond what looked a certain goal. Sean McCusker cut the gap to three with an injury time point but that was a close as they got as the Moneyglass defence shut shop and it is the St. Ergnat’s who now have four points from two starts in this year’s league.

Referee: Richard Leahy (St. Ergnat’s

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.