St Enda’s deny Lamh Dhearg league and championship double

South Antrim O’Connell Cup finals

Lamh Dhearg 1-04-1-12 St Enda’s
Kevin Herron reports from Pairc MhicDhomhnaill/ÚiDhoctairtigh

Having won the U-12 Division 2 league before the GAA was forced into lockdown in October- Lamh Dhearg went in search of the double when they took on St Enda’s at Pairc MhicDhomhnaill/ UiDhoctairtigh on Friday evening.
The Hannahstown side fell behind to an early free from Cathair McKenna but were back on terms through a stinging strike from Matthew Murray that was pushed over the bar.
Colm Kane was in outstanding form throughout the evening for the Hightown outfit and he restored their lead, but Ronan Webb responded and levelled for the second time after Daniel Mulholland turned ball over from a kick-out.
Further points would be traded as Conaire Smyth linked up with Aaron Connolly for a point- though a converted free from Dylan Fegan made it 0-03 apiece.
St Enda’s would carry a narrow lead into the break as Caden McKinney split the posts.

They carried on where they left off prior to the interval and hit three scores without reply. The best of the bunch was a remarkable point from Conaire Smyth.
Lamh Dhearg broke the momentum momentarily as Matthew Murray converted his second free of the evening.
But St Enda’s strengthened their lead through a goal from Daire McGoldrick. Points followed from Cathair McKenna and Colm Kane as they began to pull away.
However Lamh Dhearg found a lifeline with little over five minutes remaining. Matthew Murray floated a high ball into the congested area and Oisin McLarnon stabbed it to the net to give his side renewed hope.
In the end the league champions were unable to manufacture another goal despite their best efforts.
St Enda’s ended the game on the front foot with a nice point from Colm Kane and back to back points from Cathair McKenna sealing victory for the Hightown outfit.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.