Glenravel victors in a game of two halves

Antrim Football League – Division 2

Dunloy 0-09  Glenravel 1-11

Glenravel emerged victorious in this Division Two league game in windy Pearse Park Park in Dunloy on Wednesday evening. The diagonal breeze played havoc with the passing from both teams but when the visitors finally got a handle on this game they used the wind to their advantage a lot better than the local lads and were deserved winners in the end. But they took their time about it, notching up only two scores in the first thirty seven minutes of the game. However they went on to raise nine white flags in the next twenty minutes, during which time their opponents didn’t trouble the umpires at all; thus endeth the lesson!

Dunloy started with their target man, Deaglan Smith on the edge of the square but really struggled to get fast quality ball into him. They focused on keep ball with lateral flow passing that failed to penetrate the Glensmen defence enough in the first half with wind advantage. Deaglan Smith did shake off his marker with five minutes gone and put over for the opening score. The lively Eoghan McGrath added two more and took the home team into the first water break ahead by three. Their dominance in possession should have yielded a larger number on the scoreboard. On a rare offence upfield, Con Magees found a few gaps in the Dunloy defence and Sean Pól McKenna was on hand to put the ball in the net to equalise for the visitors. Three minutes later Aiden O’Donnell put Glenravel ahead but then Dunloy struck back in a ten minute spell which straddled half time. Points from Kevin McAllister and Smith took us to the short whistle with Dunloy ahead by a single point 0-05 to 1-01.

The smallish crowd might have expected a strong start to the second half from Con Magees but in fact Dunloy continued in their purple period and put over a pair of points from Kevin McAllister and Eoghan McGrath and suddenly they opened up a four point lead and were looking strong. There followed a six minute scoreless spell before the visitors shifted through the gears and recorded nine consecutive points without reply to go into 1-10 to 0-07 lead with only three minutes left on the clock. Dunloy were desperate for a goal and only narrowly missed when Eoghan McGrath collected a short free, spun and blasted just inches over the bar. The same player opted for a point one minute into extra time after Eoin Hynds and put over Glenravel’s final score. It was as if he, and his teammates knew their chance had gone.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.