Aghagallon’s wait for win continues

HomeFit ACFL Div.1

St. Mary’s Aghagallon 1-7 Rossa 3-8

Report and pics: Eamonn Shanks

St Mary’s wait for a win continues after Rossa brought the points back to the city. Both teams started brightly and while Rossa struggled to convert their early chances with 3 wides from Dominic Mc Enhill – St Mary’s converted their chances with Laim Russell and two from Gareth Magee to earn a three-point lead.

Rossa’s first score came when Liam Carr found himself behind the home defence and as he closed in on goal he elected to fist over the bar. Just before the water break Rossa got their first major of the night when Ruaidhri Currie finished well giving Damian O Hagan no chance.

St Mary’s got a goal of their own on the resumption of play when Conleth Mc Alinden benefited from a mix up in the Rossa defence after a Gareth Magee free.

Dominic Mc Enhill opened his account before the half time break, both from frees. Both teams had goal chances before the break. Jamie Lamont surged forward from midfield and when Hugh Hannon beat his man and played the ball to him, he drove the ball over the bar when he might have gone for goal and the Aghagallon net minder Damien O Hagan made a point blank save from Donal Armstrong to keep the hosts in front at the break.

Half time St Mary’s 1:04 Rossa 1:03

The opening score of the second half was reward for Hugh Hannon who chased back and won the ball on the right-hand side and cut in to score from a tight angle but having opened his account Dominic Mc Enhill added the next two points to bring the sides level.

 Spurred on by this the visitors went on to score two goals before the water break and effectively wrap the game up. Both goals were scored by Sean Donnelly. The first saw him exchange passed with the increasingly effective Mc Enhill, as he approached the goal, he dropped his shoulder and wrong footed the home defence to slip the ball home. His second was the result of perseverance when his first shot hit the foot of the post, he followed up to slide the ball into the net.

Try as they might Aghagallon could not breach the Rossa defence which was marshalled by the hard working Richard Gowdy. Hugh Hannon’s shot was parried to Conleth Mc Alinden but the ball fell behind him and at full stretch he could only steer it inches wide. Jack Lenehan dropped another ball in but it bounced off the cross bar into the grateful hands of Ruairc Murray.  Rossa’s final three scores came from frees from the Mc Enhills – two from Dominic and one from Michael while Conleth Mc Alinden and  Pauric Maginnis got St Mary’s last two points.

St Marys: D O Hagan, S Devlin, A Mulholland, C Mc Grath, M Mc Stravick, R O Neill, S Donnelly, J Lenehan, J Lamont (0:01), L Russell (0:01), G Magee (0:02 1f), M Mc Afee, C Mc Alinden (1:01), H Hannon (0:01),

D Mc Alernon

Subs: P Maginnis (0:01)

Rossa: C Mc Donald, P Moyes, G Mc Grath, C Orchin, R Gowdy, R Murray, C Mc Gettigan, E Mc Menamin, L Carr (0:01), S Donnelly(2:00), A Devlin, D Armstrong, D Mc Enhill (0:06 4f) R Currie (1:00)

Subs : M Mc Enhill (0:01F)


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.