Glenravel prevail in an open flowing game

OB Construction IFC Group 1

Glenravel 1-14    Davitts 0-09

By Aodh O’Loan

Glenravel dominated the third quarter of this game to open a gap that their Belfast opponents failed to close. Both sides were even several times during the first half with the local lads just edging ahead by two points on the short whistle. But a goal on the stroke of the second water break turned a five point lead into an eight point gap for Con Magees and the game went from an uphill struggle to an insurmountable challenge for Davitt’s.

The opening ten minutes were very even with both sides level four times exchanging points to get to a 0-04 each score line. The home team then pushed ahead recording four points in as many minutes to go into a four point lead half way through the half. Davitt’s impressive centre half forward, Stephen Tully put over a couple of placed balls to reduce the gap to two with nine minutes left to the break. Both defences were getting on top at this stage and neither side scored in those closing minutes so Glenravel led by two points 0-08 to 0-06 at half time.

Tully again pointed from a free in the opening minute of the second half to leave the minimum between the teams, but five minutes into the second half, Con Magees hit a purple patch and scored four points without reply to put five between the sides. Glenravel delivered a killer blow just before the water break when a long ball deceived Davitts centre back and when Eamon Fyfe collected the ball he had only one thing on his mind. In fairness the defender did get back to put Fyfe under pressure but the ball ended up in the back of the net. Referee Gregory Walsh immediately blew for the water break.

Davitts were now really up against in, trailing by eight points when ten minutes earlier the gap was only a single point. Reeling from that goal, Davitts struggled to get back into the game and when the home side added two more points to lead by ten with ten minutes left the result was certain – just the margin to be decided. Credit to Davitt’s who worked hard to the end and did record the final two scores to reduce the gap to eight. But the game petered out to the inevitable conclusion with neither side able to raise a flag in the closing seven minutes.

This was a good, free flowing game of football with both sides scoring from distance but Glenravel had just a little too much finishing power up front and came out deserved winners 1-14 to 0-09. Both sides will face tough opposition this coming Sunday when Davitts host local rivals Ardoyne at 2pm whilst Glenravel make a trip to the Glen Road to play St Teresa’s; throw in for this one is 2pm also.


Shaun O’Boyle, Cathal Hyndes, Conor Carey jnr, Johnny Fyfe, Calum Higgins, Niall Swann, Conleth O’Loan, David Higgins, Eoin McCusker, Rian Lennon, Aidan O’Donnell, Eoin Hynds, Eamon Fyfe, Ronan Higgins, Declan Traynor.


  1. Aaron Slane 2. Conor Toner 3. Michael Rowntree 4. Anton McLaughlin 5. Paul McKinney 6. Danny Wallace 7. Chris Gallagher 8. Caoimhin Slane 9. Anthony Rowntree 10. Gerard Slane 11. Stephen Tully 12. Conor Sullivan 13. Marcus Toner 14. Michael Connolly 15. Anthony McGrattan 16. Oscar Deevy 17. Ryan Park 18. David Nugent 19. Thomas Maguire 20. Christopher Raffert

Referee – Gregory Walsh

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.