Late Boyd strike proves crucial as Moneyglass secure the Minor B title

Under-17B Football Championship (Final)

St Ergnat’s Moneyglass 4-06 St Gall’s 2-10

A Sean Boyd goal in the 57th minute following an inch perfect pass from the hugely influential Tiernan McCormick proved the crucial strike as Moneyglass came from behind to claim the minor B football title at the expense of a gallant St Gall’s in a close encounter at Glenavy on Sunday.

Little separated the sides for most of the game but St. Gall’s got off to the better start and an Anthony Hill goal in the 4th minute got them off to an excellent start.

Moneyglass began to get their game together with the excellent Tiernan Mc Cormick leading the way but the Milltown side retained their advantage to the end of the opening period and although Kevin McCann found the net in the 29th minute to add to an earlier Sean Boyd major, it was St Gall’s who led 2-04 to 2-02 at half time.

The second half progressed in a similar tit for tat fashion but the Milltown lads looked on their way to silverware when a trio of unanswered points saw them still ahead as the end approached.

 Moneyglass dug deep however and that late Sean Boyd goal proved a winner as St. Ergnat’s completed a league and championship double.

There was a good attendance at the Chapel Hill as St Gall’s and Moneyglass lined out to decide the destination of the U17B championship and a close one was anticipated.

Moneyglass opened positively but the South west side missed a couple of early opportunities and it was St. Gall’s who opened the scoring as corner back Aodhan Mc Donagh found the net following a well laid counter attack in which Dubhltalgh Crawford and Conor Mc Veigh combined.

St.Gall’s had seized the initiative and after their country cousins squandered another opportunity, Conor McVeigh responded at the other end as Luke Burke sent the pace laden corner man away on the left to split the posts.

Moneyglass were finding it difficult to find the target but they opened their account in the 12th minute as Kevin McCann sent Sean Boyd away on the right hand side for their opening point.

Marcus McCrossan replied from a pointed free but a deft Tiernan McCormick delivery to the advancing Sean Boyd saw him fire to the bottom corner of the net  to ensure only a point separated the teams at the first water break, 1-02 to 1-01.

The sides were level shortly into the second quarter when St Ergnat’s Paul Duffin strode forward to split the posts but the city lads came back strongly to regain control.

Callum Walsh fired between the posts and Marcus Crossan collected the resultant kick out before delivering to Niall Fallon and the corner forward set up Conor McVeigh to blast to the net and ensure a 2-03 to 1-02 advantage.

Ciaran Og Mullan’s increased the St Gall’s lead but the South West side had the last say in the opening period when a Connlaidh McCann delivery opened the for Kevin McCann to find the net and make it 2-04 to 2-02 in favour of the Milltown boys at the end of the first period.

Moneyglass made a bright start to the second half as Tiernan Mc Cormick and Sean Boyd combined to open the way for Jamie Mc Laughlin to score their third goal of the game and Connlaodh McCann quickly added a point and they had moved 3-03 to 2-04 ahead.

Connlaidh Mc Cann split the posts from a free following a foul on Moneyglass replacement Callum Murray but Callum Walsh replied from long range at the other end as play continued to swing from end to end.

Another fine Sean Boyd point increased the Moneyglass advantage but Marcus McCrossan replied with a similar score for the Milltown side with 40th minutes on the clock.

Momentum continued to flow one way and then another as Callum Murray pointed at the other end but the last score in the third quarter belonged to St Gall’s as Gaireach MacAdhaimh delivered between the posts from distance to ensure his side were within touching distance and only a couple of points in arrears going into the final quarter.

Moneyglass held a two point lead as the final quarter got under way but St Gall’s were soon back on terms with back to back points from Manus McCrossan who was to pick up a second yellow in the dying embers of the game.

The sides were tied again and St Gall’s seemed to be gaining control but St. Ergnat’s once again found a response as the hugely impressive Tiernan McCormack and Sean Boyd combined to seize a firm grip on the game.

Mc Cormick rose well above the rest to seize the leather in the central zone to claim a mark before placing the wing half forward who rounded a couple of defenders before planting the leather in the back of the net to ensure a 4-06 to 2-09 advantage.

St Galls tried to respond in the closing minutes as Niall Fallon added a 61st minute point just after Marcus Mc Crossan had picked up a second yellow followed by red but this was to be the game’s final score as Moneyglass finished 4-06 to 2-09 winners and Minor B champions 2021.

Moneyglass: Callum Graham, Oisin O’ Donnell, Brian Magee, Damien Duffin, Matthew Mullen, Paul Duffin (0-01), Seannan O’ Boyle, Tiernan Mc Cormick, Kevin Mc Cann (1-00), Sean Boyd (2-02), Connloadh Mc Cann (0-02), Jamie Mc Laughlin (1-00), Nate Dixon, Matthew Cairns, Zak Hamill


Callum Murray (0-01) for M Cairns

St Gall’s: Liam Burns, Aodhan Mc Donagh, Oisin Maskey, Anthony Hill (1-00), Oisin Kelly, Luke Burke, James Sloan, Marcus Mc Crossan (0-04), Gaireach Mac Adaimh (0-01), Ciaran Og Mullan, Liam Lynn, Callum Walsh (1-02), Conor Mc Veigh (0-03), Dubhaltach Crawford, Padraigh og O’ Muiri


Ethan Walsh for A McDonagh

Segdae Mac Adhaimh for O Maskey

A Mc Donagh for O Kelly

Conor Mc Veigh for P O Muiri

O Kelly for L Burns

Referee: C Mallon (St Mary’s Aghagallon)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.