Moneyglass maintain their unbeaten run

ACFL Division 2

St. Ergnat’s Moneyglass 0-10 St. Mary’s Rasharkin 1-6

St. Ergnat’s Moneyglass made it four wins from four starts in the ACFL Division 2 but they were given a late scare by newly promoted St. Mary’s Rasharkin at Marian Hill on Sunday. The visitors led 0-5 to 0-3 after 23 minutes and were full value for their lead but late points from Conall Prenter, Colm Duffin and Dermot McErlain edged the home side into a 0-6 to 0-5 half time lead.

St. Ergnat’s pushed on in the second half with Colm Duffin the star performer as he fired over four points (2 frees) to leave his side looking comfortable with five minutes remaining but the Dreen side struck with a late goal from Emmet McFerran to ensure a nervous finish for the hosts.

Niall Boyd and Jack McCoy fired over early in the game to give the hosts a 0-2 to 0-0 lead after a cagey 11 minutes and it was 14 minutes before Ryan Lynch split the posts for the visitors to close the gap to one.

Tiernan O’Boyle came forward from his goalkeeping berth to level the scores before Shane Hasson pointed an 18th minute free to give the visitors the lead for the first time.

Seanachann Duffin for Moneyglass and Conor McFerran for Rasharkin exchanged further points and when Thomas McMullan fired over with seven minutes remaining to the break, the Dreen side were two in front and edging the exchanges at this stage of the contest.

It was St. Ergnat’s who wrestled back the initiative in the period leading up to the break however with Prenter, Duffin from a free and McErlain adding unanswered points to leave them leading 0-6 to 0-5 at the break.

Could Rasharkin respond again? Was the question at the start of the second half but the answer was a resounding no as the hosts tightened up at the back and slowly they began to put further daylight between the sides.

Colm Duffin pointed St. Ergnat’s further ahead from a free in the 7th minute and the big mid-fielder was to have a massive influence on the outcome as the game progressed. Duffin added another with 12 minutes of the second half gone as both sides pulled men behind the ball.

Rasharkin were now struggling to put meaningful attacks together but making life difficult for the Moneyglass attack but it was that man Duffin who breeched the defensive wall to fire over the first point of the half from play in the 47th minute.

The same player added his fourth point of the half and his fifth in total to move his side five in front with five minutes remaining and it looked all over at this stage but Rasharkin refused to through in the towel and finished strongly.

It seemed irrelevant when keeper Tiernan O’Boyle fired over his second free of the game in the 59th minute to open the visitors second half account but when Emmet McFerran finished to the net in their next attack the situation had taken a dramatic turn.

With both sets of managers looking anxiously at their watches and Rasharkin attempting to complete the come-back of all come-backs Eamon McAuley’s full time whistle came as something of a relief to the home side.

Moneyglass: will be happy with the result but will surely reflect on the fact that they nearly let it slip at the death but they now sit at the top of the table, the only side in the division with full points from 4 starts and look capable of maintaining that position as the season progresses.

Moneyglass: 1 Danny McErlain, 2 Lukie O’Donnell, 3 Peter McCormick, Callum McStocker, 5 Patrick McCormick, 6 Fearghal Duffin, 7 Jack McCoy, 8 Colum Duffin, 9 Niall Boyd, 10 Seanchann Duffin, 11 Dermot McErlain, 12 Miran Neeson, 13 Connor O’Kane, 14 Conaill Prenter, 15 Tyler Cassidy

Rasharkin: 1 Tiernan O’Boyle, 2 Conor Doherty, 3 Daniel Doherty, 4 Pearce Kelly, 5 Conor Hasson, 6 Emmet McFerran, 7 Colm Kennedy, 8 Thomas McMullan, 9 Ruairi O’Boyle, 10 Thomas Doherty, 11 Shane Hasson, 12 Conor McKeever, 13 Ryan Lynch, 14 Conor McFerran, 15 Andrew Hasson,

Referee: Eamon McAuley (Cargin)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.