Lámhs recover from slow start to see off Gorts

Hoemfit ACFL Division One 

Lámh Dhearg 0-10-1-04 Gort na Mona 

Kevin Herron reports from Hannahstown 

Despite falling 1-02-0-01 behind with almost twenty minutes of the first half gone, Lámh Dhearg levelled at the break and kicked on in the second period to see off Gort na Mona at Hannahsotwn on Wednesday evening. 

The hosts were looking for their third league in seven days against a Gort na Mona side that are sitting on the foot of the table without a point from their opening five encounters. 

However, the form book went out the window early-on as the Turf Lodge outfit settled quicker and took the lead through a Manus McMullan point. 

Niall Melaney then curled over a second before Terry McCrudden broke onto Carl Maxwell’s knock-down – but his shot rose over the bar. 

With almost twenty minutes on the clock Gort na Mona pulled further clear with the games only goal. 

Aidan McDonagh turned the ball over in midfield and slipped to off the shoulder to Desy McLean as a three-man weave developed before a high ball over the top found Niall Melaney – who latched onto the pass and fired into the roof of the net to make give his side a 1-02-0-01 lead. 

Niall Melaney struck the games only goal at Hannahstown

Terry McCrudden took a pass from Declan Smith, adjusted his run and steered over his second point of the half in response, but Gort na Mona almost struck a second goal. 

McDonagh swung a terrific pass into the danger area where Gavin McKenna won it and played a one-two, he then picked out Michael Brady inside the area – though Brady shot over the bar when it looked as if the goal was on.

At the other end Ross Murray’s successful press had his side on the front foot and Shaun McManus pulled a score back from in-front of the posts. 

The hosts were beginning to settle into things and Ryan Diamond got on the scoresheet after Cormac Hannan’s shot dropped into the arms of Terry McCrudden to pop a pass into the path of wing-half back. 

Ben Rice landed a nice point from range after linking-up with Niall McGarry and moments later parity was restored when Shaun McManus sent a quick-free into the path of McCrudden to curl a shot over the bar and make it 0-06-1-03 at the break. 

Lámh Dhearg hit the front for the first time within 60-seconds of the restart, Cormac Hannan sent Ben Rice on an advance forward, and he found Terry McCrudden on the loop, Ryan Diamond then took a short pass and picked out Carl Maxwell to float the ball over. 

Terry McCrudden top scored with 0-04 for the Lámhs

A converted mark from McCrudden stretched the lead, though Gort na Mona responded with a Padraic McHugh point from range. 

Ben Rice found his shooting range for the second time in the evening to restore the two-point advantage. 

The hosts thought they had pulled clear on 43 minutes when Declan Smith found McCrudden and a promising move saw Ryan Diamond take-over and pick out Declan Dunne for a tap-in, though referee Sean Laverty disallowed the goal for a square ball. 

Though Cormac Hannan would successfully flight a free off the ground to put his side 0-10-1-04 ahead. 

Despite the best efforts of both sides, there were no further scores as Lámh Dhearg made it three wins on the bounce ahead of a two-week break in the league schedule. 

Lámh Dhearg: M McIlvenny, C Nolan, M McGarry, R Murray, R Diamond (0-01), P Larkin, B Rice (0-02), C Hannan (0-01f), S McManus (0-01), E Campbell, S Tully, D Smith, T McCrudden (0-04, 0-01m), C Maxwell (0-01), N McGarry. Subs: F Mervyn for C Nolan (HT), D Dunne for E Campbell (35), SP Gibson for C Maxwell (52), C McIlvenny for D Smith (52), A Ferris for R Murray (57). 

Gort na Mona: C Scullion, J O’Reilly, G McKenna, N Henry, S Campbell, P Cournane, M Savage, A McDonagh, D McLean, T McGreevy, M Brady (0-01), N Melaney (1-01), D Boyd, P McHugh (0-01), M McMullan (0-01). Subs: C Carson for D McLean (60). 

Referee: Sean Laverty (Moneyglass) 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.