St Enda’s claim the points at Cloney

ACFL Division 1B

St Mary’s Ahoghill 0-12 St Enda’s 2-14

St Enda’s gained the points in their penultimate assignment of the season when they claimed the points at the expense of St Mary’s Ahoghill at Cloney on Sunday afternoon.

Carl McCabe’s men would have anticipated a tough game against an Ahoghill side which had been in good form of late but in the event Danny O’ Neill’s men were to field without the services of more than a few regulars.

St Enda’s were quickly into their stride to what was to prove an impressive victory raising five white flags in the opening phase with five different players on target by the 10th minute.

Peter Healey opened their account a minute into proceedings with Oran Eastwood, James Mc Auley, Kristan Healey, and Tomas Gilmour following suit.

James O’ Connell finally got the home side off the mark with a point in the 12th minute and when the same player added another from a 50 metre free a few minutes later they looked to be settling to the task on hand but disaster loomed around the corner.

St Mary’s net minder, Noel Crossey looked to have matters well in hand when he grasped a lofted Peter Healey delivery but the ball slipped from his hands with the lurking Finn Nagle quick to return it to the back of the net with Peter Healey following with another point.

Danny O’ Neill replied with a point for the home side but a further couple of points from the Healey brothers Kristan and Peter extended the St Enda’s lead. James O’ Connell made reply in kind but visitors looked in charge as the short whistle drew near.

The Glengormley lads had a 1-09 to 0-04 advantage at such juncture but in the event the Cloney side and James O’ Connell’s sharpshooting was to feature prominently in the latter stages.

The mid fielder was not at all troubled to direct back to back long range frees directly between the posts and when he added another from play the St Enda’s advantage was reduced to 1-09 to 0-07 and an Ahoghill come-back looked on.

The home side had finished the opening half on a positive note but it was the Glengormley men who made the much better start to the second half. Oran Eastwood pointed two early frees and when a fine left sided advance by Conor Morgan opened the way for Oran Eastwood to finish to the net. St Enda’s had gained a 2-11 to 0-07 advantage and were on their way to victory.

The home side were in trouble as they tried to respond but the St Enda’s defence stood tall and when Kristan Healey and Oran Eastwood added points apiece the die was cast.

St. Mary’s kept battling to the end and Donal Graham despatched a close free between the posts to punish an indiscretion on Martin Graham and Tom McGlone, and James O’Connell followed with points from play before Graham added another from a 30 metre free.

The home side had reduced the deficit but time was not on their side as they kicked their last score of the game with a point from Conor Crossey with Oran Eastwood and replacement Stephen Mc Bride replying at the other end to leave St Enda’s convincing winners in the end.

Ahoghill: N Crossey, F Neeson, B Magee, S Neeson, P Dougan, T Mc Glone (0-01), E Brady

J O’ Connell (0-08), M Graham, D O’ Neill (0-01), D Graham (0-01), E Neeson, C Mc Donnell, F O’ Neill, C Crossey (0-01)

Subs: S O’ Neill for C Mc Donnell

St Enda’s: P Flood, C Lyttle, E Mc Namee, C Mc Cabe, R Kalla, J Mc Auley (0-01), T Gilmour (0-01), M Morgan, C Mc Grath, P Healey (0-04), K Healey (0-03), D Walsh, F Nagle (1-00), O Eastwood (1-05)


S Mc Bride

C Morgan

E Nagle

Referee: Paul Burns (St Comhghall)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.