McManus leads from the front as Cushendall cruise through

Bathshack Senior Hurling Championship – Group 2

ST Enda’s 0-8 Cushendall 2-30

All in a day’s work for Neill McManus. Helped save a man’s life on the way to work in the morning, scored 1-15 for his club Ruairi Og in the evening. The years may be ticking over but the big Cushendall man doesn’t appear to be slowing down as he gave another incredible man of the match performance as the Ruairi’s had too much in the tank for Naomh Eanna at Hightown. He scored 0-8 in the first half and 1-7 in the second to help his team to a runaway 2-30 to 0-8 victory. The Glengormly men were in the game for the first twenty minutes and showed great fight and determination, but Cushendall put their foot to the pedal and were eight clear by the break. 0-13 to 0-5. After the change of ends they upped their level even more as a demoralised St Enda’s side just couldn’t cope. The didn’t score during the first 21 minutes of the second half by which time Cusehndall had added a further 1-14, the goal coming from McManus, and by the end they were 28 in arrears. They have a two week break before facing St John’s in round 2 and they know they have a lot of work to do if they are to keep their season alive.

St Enda’s Philly Curran in action against Cushendall’s Alex Delargy

St Enda’s opened the scoring on four minutes with a long range point from right half back Cormack Ross, and after McManus came back with two at the other end, Ross hit another brilliant point from inside his own 45 metre line. Three more from McManus plus points apiece from Aidan McNaughton and ‘Fred’ McCurry stretched the Ruairis lead to five, but a pointed free from close range by Joe Maskey and another excellent point from distance by Cormac Ross left just three between the sides on 21 minutes. The home team must have been happy enough the way things were panning out at this stage, but Cushendall began to turn the screw and five more from McManus and one from Paddy Gill stretched the gap out to eight by the time Colum McDonald blew the half time whistle.

Cushendall’s salvo late in the first half appeared to knock the stuffing out of St Enda’s and it was all of 21 minutes before they raised their first flag of the second half, by which time the Ruairis were over the hill and far away, scoring 1-14 without reply, 1-16 of it from McManus, 0-3 from Paddy McGill, two from Eoin Campbell, plus one each from Scott Walsh Fred McCurry and Alex Delargy

Cushendall’s Niall McCormick runs at the St Enda’s defence

Luke O’Connor, Eoin Conlon and Conor Bradley came back with points for St Enda’s but Cushendall substitute Fergus McCambridge finished it all with a well taken goal.

A great start for Cushendall but they will face a tougher task when they meet Loughgiel  at Dunsilly in two weeks’ time


Martin Curran, Conor McAlister, Niall O’Connor, Ruairi Diamond, Cormac Jennings, Ryan Bogue, Cormac Ross, Owen Kennedy, Oisin Quinn, Philip Curran, Manus Mullan, Ruairi Donaghy, Ryan Eager, Joe Maskey, Eoin Conlon.

Subs – Conor Bradley, Conor McSteen, Luke O’Connor


Eoin Gillan, Liam Gillan, Paddy Burke, Martin Burke, Mark Donaghy, Eoghan Campbell, Scott Walsh, Alex Delargy, Niall McCormick, Dominic Delargy, Sean McAfee, Aidan McNaughton, Paddy McGill, Neill McManus, Francis McCurry

Subs – Fergus McCambridge, Ryan McCambride, Christy McNaughton

St Enda’s chairman Paul McKeown presents the sponsorship cheque to John McIlwaine of the Saffron Gael at half time in the St Enda’s v Cushendall championship game. Pic by JJ Lawell

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.