Cushendun get back to winning ways

Andersonstown Social Club Intermediate Hurling Championship

Cushendun 3-22 St Paul’s 1-13

Cushendun bounced back from their midweek defeat at Ahoghill to beat St Paul’s in Sunday’s Senior Hurling Championship game at CushLig an Airgid in the Intermediate Hurling Championship.

After falling behind to a free by Conall Duffy for St Paul’s the home team levelled through Conor McHugh and it was score for score during the next ten minutes with Duffy and Murray on target for St Paul’s while Harry Kilgore, Loaf McNeill and John V Morgan hit the target for the Emmet’s.

Points from McNeill and Harry Kilgore put the home team a point ahead but Sean Munce brought St Paul’s level on fourteen minutes, but the next ten minutes saw the Emmet’s get on top. Loaf McNeill edged them back ahead on sixteen minutes before grabbing the first goal of the game, when he drove a 20 metre free all the way to the net. Calum and David Kilgore added points to put the gap out to six, and though Conall Duffy pulled one back for the visitors, David Kilgore popped over a point before finishing a flowing move with his team’s second goal one minute from half time. Declan Chapman came back with two quick points for St Paul’s to keep his team in touch, but there was still seven points between the sides by the time Ciaran McCloskey blew the half time whistle.

 Kevin Murray cut the gap back to six with a pointed free from distance at the start of the second half, but Cushendun came back with five unanswered points, three of them from Conlaoth McNeill, and one each from Pearse Bannon and David Kilgore to stretch the advantage to eleven. Anthony Gallagher and Seán Mac Corraidh pulled two back for the Shaw’s Road men but the rest of the game was dominated by the Emmet’s. Pearse Bannon and David Kilgore popped over points, and though Murray replied with one from a 65, four in a row from Matthew McCartin, Conlaoth McNeill, Conor McHugh, Conrad McDonnell and Pearse Bannon put the game beyond St Paul’s reach

Full forward Seán Mac Corraidh got his customary goal for the visitors two minutes from time with a great finish, but Pearse Bannon had the final say for the home team to seal a 3-22 to 1-13 win.


Gareth McGhee, Sean Hamilton, Aidan Corbett, Jack McKay, Tom Scally, Donal O’Hara, Archie McSparran, Oisin McMahon, Matthew McCartin, Conor McHugh, Harry Kilgore, David Kilgore, Calum Kilgore, Conlaoth McNeill, John V Morgan.


Kevin Murray, Caoimhin Killyleagh, Fiontan Gallagher, Conor Gallagher, Tiernan Auld, Frankie Sewell, Marcas Munce, Conall Finnegan, Sean Lawell, Caolan Duibhfinn, Anthony Gallagher, Declan Chapman, Conall Duffy, Seán Mac Corraidh, Sean Munce.

Referee – Ciaran McCloskey (Loughgiel)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.