Ports power through to quarter-final

Northern Switchgear SFC Group 2

St. Ergnat’s 1-7 Portglenone 2-24

Casement’s Portglenone powered their way into the quarter-finals of the Northern Switchgear SFC when they travelled to Moneyglass on Sunday and proved too strong for Division 2 league winners, St. Ergnat’s in this final Group 2 game.

The impressive Bann-siders were well on their way to victory at half time when they led by 0-13 to 0-5 but a goal from Paddy Kelly early in the second half and another from Niall McKeever in the 41st minute put the game out of reach of their opponents.

Niall McKeever pointed Casement’s ahead with a point in the 2nd minute before Seanchann Duffin replied from a ‘45’ to get the Marian Hill side off the mark.

The visitors soon settled into a rhythm as Paddy Kelly, Aidan McAleese 0-3, Ruairi Hagan and Paddy Kelly edged them six ahead at the end of the opening quarter as the St. Ergnat’s defence struggled to deal with the pace and movement of a fluent Casement’s attack.

Conleth McCann from a free and Tiernan Duffin with St. Ergnat’s first point from play in the 19th minute closed the gap to four to the approval of the home support but it brought another flurry from the visitors as Ruairi Hagan, Dermott McAleese, Paddy Kelly (f) and Conal Delargy hit four on the bounce to extend the visitors lead to 8 with 8 minutes remaining to the break.

The home side were fighting hard to get their own game going but to no avail but Shay Madden rasised his side’s fourth white flag in the 22nd minute but again the visitors responded with points from a Paddy Kelly ‘45’ and another from Aidan McAleese.

The final score of the opening half went the way of the Marian Hill side as Colum Duffin pointed a free in the 30th minute but it was going to take a massive turn around in fortunes if St. Ergnat’s were going to salvage anything from this game in the second half.

Colum Duffin for Moneyglass and Conal Delargy for the visitors exchanged early points as the second half action got under way but when Delargy got through for the game’s opening goal in the 33d minute Casement’s already looked on their way to the quarter-final.

Paddy Kelly added a point before Niall McKeever made victory secure when he fired home his side’s second goal in the 41st minute with Oisin Doherty following with his first point of the evening a minute later.

Shay Madden replied with St. Ergnat’s second point at the end of the third quarter but the Portglenone pressure continued as Paddy Kelly continued to punish any indiscretion from the home side.

To their credit St. Ergnat’s battled right to the end and Dermot ‘Buggsie’ McErlain got some reward for his efforts when he fired past Ryan O’Neill in the 51st minute but it was Casement’s who finished as they had started with points from Oisin Doherty 0-2, Conal Delargy, Paddy Kelly (f) and Dermot McAleese.

Portglenone now go forward to meet Gort na Mona in the quarter-final and on present form look favourites to win that one but they will get nothing easy from a Turf Lodge side who will feel they are going into this one with nothing to lose.

Moneyglass: 1 Danny McErlain, 2 Callum McStocker, 3 Peter McCormick, 4 James McCormick, 5 Jack McCoy, 6 Conor Boyd, 7 Patrick McCormick, 8 Tiernan Duffin, 9 Colum Duffin, 10 Seanchann Duffin, 11 Dermot McErlain, 12 Fearghal Duffin, 13 Shay Madden, 14 Conaill Prenter, 15 Conleth McCann. Subs: Tyler Cassidy for Conleth McCann, Luke O’Donnell for Jack McCoy

Portglenone: 1 Ryan O’Neill, 3 Johnny Convery, 19 Shane Delargy, 4 Ronan Delargy, 5 Caolan Tierney, 6 Dermot McAleese, 7 Ryan Convery, 8 Niall Delargy, 9 Niall McKeever, 10 Ruairi Hagan, 13 Aidan McAleese, 14 Conal Delargy, 22 Paddy Kelly, 15 Oisin Doherty, 24 Michael Kelly. Subs: Kevin O’Kane for Shane Delargy, Daniel McNicholl for Michael Kelly, Ciaran Mckenna

Referee: Kevin Parke (St. Enda’s)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.