Loughgiel through to quarter finals

Bathshack Senior Hurling Championship

Loughgiel 1-24 St Enda’s 0-10

Loughgiel set up a quarter final meeting with Rossa in the Senior Hurling Championship when they beat St Enda’s in their final round-robin game at Fr Healy Park on Sunday evening. In a stop start game St Enda’s had a  good opening quarter when backed by a strong breeze, but once Loughgiel found their range they recovered to lead by 1-10 to 0-8 at the break.

When wind assisted in the second half Loughgiel pushed on to win with ease in a stop-start game that never really caught fire and by the end there were good value for their 17 point win.

Owen Kennedy opened the scoring for St Enda’s inside 30 seconds, and though Loughgiel came back with points from James McNaughton, Maol Connolly and Shan McGrath, two well taken scores from Philly Curran brought St Enda’s level on eight minutes. Midfielder Owen Kennedy briefly had St Enda’s ahead but Shan McGrath brought the Shamrocks level and when the same player was put clear a minute later he drove the ball to the visitors net to give his side a lead they would not subsequently relinquish.

Two fantastic long range points from St Enda’s centre back Cormac Ross brought them back to within a point but Loughgiel were getting on top and two points from Maol Connolly, one from play and the other from a free gave them a bit of breathing space.   St Enda’s did manager two more in the second quarter as Ross Cormac Jennings fired over, but a point direct from a sideline cut by Paul Boyle started a run that saw Shea Casey, Declan McCloskey and Maol Connolly all hit the target to put the Shamrocks five clear at the interval. (1-10 to 0-8)

With the strength of the wind it was clear scores were going to be hard to come by for the Glengormley men in the second half , and so it proved. Loughgiel kept picking of the points and Declan McCloskey, Shan McGrath, Maol Connolly, James McNaughton and ‘Betty’ McKee (2) all added to the total to stretch the gap to 11 before Cormac Jennings first score of the second half on 48 minutes.  

Three more came from the hurls of Shan McGrath, Declan McCloskey and Eddie McCloskey before Ruairi Donaghy got his team’s team’s final score of the game, but Loughgiel finished strongly as James McNaughton hit three in a row, two from frees and on from play, before substitute Declan Gillan wrapped it all up with the final score of the game.


Chrissy O’Connell, Tiernan Coyle, Ruairi McCloskey, Rory McCloskey, Enda Og McGarry, Declan McCloskey, Ruairi McCormick, Daniel McCloskey, James McNaughton, Paul Boyle, Donal McKinley, Shan McGrath, Maol Connolly, Shay Casey, Christy McGarry.

Subs – Ryan McKee, Declan Gillan, Ciaran McKay

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.