Laverty major seals it for St. Killian’s

Gaelfast Year 10 Hurling final

Gaelast Cup final

St. Killian’s 1-9 Cross & Passion 0-8

A goal from corner forward, Donncha Laverty in the 30th minute finally decided this Year 10 Gaelfast hurling final in difficult conditions under the lights at Dunsilly on Wednesday night. In conditions that were not conducive to good hurling both sides gave it everything with the result still in the balance with time almost up.

St. Killian’s were awarded a side-line cut and Dylan McNaughton’s strike found its way to Shane McQuillan who combined with Charlie Black to put Laverty clear to the left of goal and the number 15 sent his shot out of reach of Patrick Campbell in the Cross & Passion goal to seal victory.

CPC captain Liam Smth in action during the GaelFast Year 10 Hurling final at Dunsilly

On a surface where it was difficult to get the ball up the passages of open play were few and far between but both side fought tooth and nail with a lot of rucks throughout and both defences making it extremely difficult for the opposition to score.

Charlie McAuley gave Cross & Passion the lead with a point in the 3d minute before Cahir McMambridge and Shane McQuillan replied for the Tower to edge them one in front with 7 minutes played.

Cross & Passion began to edge the exchanges at this stage with Darra Kinney hitting a couple of points and Joe Deery adding another to leave them 4-2 ahead by the 12th minute before McQuillan replied with his second of the game to close the gap to the minimum once more.

Dylan McNaughton, who got through a mountain of work on the night, tied the contest once more before Cahir McCambridge edged the Tower ahead again and further exchanges from Dylan McNaughton and Damian McCaughan saw St. Killian’s hold a slender lead as Kevin Parke blew the half time whistle.

St Killian’s Dylan McNaughton makes a great catch as he his team comes under pressure

Throughout the first half both defences excelled with Eunan Johnston and Liam Smith to the fore for the Ballycastle boys and Paddy Morgan and Cadhan Graham dominant for St. Killian’s and the strong defending from both sides continued in the second half with clear cut opportunities hard to come by.

Matthew Donnelly tied the contest yet again when he pointed a free, four minutes into the second half but points from Dylan and Connlaith McNaughton edged St. Killian’s three in front after 36 minutes and they looked to be gaining the upper hand.

Back came the Ballycastle side however with a couple of pointed frees from the impressive Donnelly leaving it finely balanced once more and it still looked anyone’s game but Laverty’s sweet finish with time almost up sealed it for the Tower.

Both sides deserve massive credit for their efforts over the night and in a game where neither side gave an inch, a goal was always going to seal it and Laverty’s major, following an excellent build up proved a worthy winner.

St’ Killian’s: Ben Duncan, Jake Laffan, Paddy Morgan, Aidan McCormick, Charlie McGarrell, Caodan Graham, Brian McNeill, Dylan McNaughton, Ronan Magee, Charlie Black, Shane McQuillan, Christopher Leech, Connlaoth McNaughton, Cahir McCambridge, Donnach Laverty.

Cross & Passion: Patrick Campbell, Caolan Christie, Eunan Johnston, Connlaoth Woodhouse, Oisin Donnelly, Liam Smith, Odhran Baudant, Darragh Kinney, Eoin Bailey, Joe Deery, Damian McMahon, Logan McConville, Charlie McAuley, Matthew Donnelly, Cahir McCaughan.

Referee: Kevin Parke (St. Enda’s)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.