All Saints comfortable winners over St Teresa’s

Antrim Football League – Division 2

All Saints 3-11 St Teresa’s 1-6

Jubilee celebrations were put on hold at Ballymena on Sunday when All Saints enjoyed a comfortable win over a St Teresa’s side that really only got the scoreboard ticking in the final quarter. This was a game in which All Saints were never really put under any sustained pressure. While St Teresa’s pushed forward regularly, they lacked the confidence and the final touch to convert possession into scores.

An initial promising attack led by Anton Taylor finished with a poor shot landing into the hands of Stewart in the All Saints net. McDonnell opened the scoring for All Saints after a patient move into St Teresa’s territory. A further point from McVeigh was followed up with a goal from Keenan, and it was clear from early on that St Teresa’s were going to be up against it in this game.

Campbell must have thought he had put All Saints further ahead with his attempt on goal, only to see it saved by O’Neill as the ball came over the St Teresa’s bar. This lifted the spirit of the St Teresa’s side who pushed forward for a point from the dangerous Mark Small, only to see All Saints hit back immediately with a point from play from McVeigh.

While All Saints were enjoying the bulk of possession, a well set-up St Teresa’s defence was proving difficult to penetrate. All Saints cause was not helped by their insistence on overpassing and slow play that made it easier for St Teresa’s to contain them.

Noel McCann kept St Teresa’s in the game with a lovely point from play from 30 yards. However, this marked the end of any meaningful attack from St Teresa’s in the opening half, as All Saints eventually seemed to find the key to their defence with 4 four points slotted over without reply.

Half Time: All Saints 1-6 St Teresa’s 0-2

All Saints were first to raise the white flag in the second half. St Teresa’s responded with a quick attack but were thwarted by a great save from Stewart in the All Saints net. At this stage in the game. All Saints were in full control and had a goal and three points on the scoreboard before Luke Cassian got St Teresa’s first point in the second half.

While the result was never in any doubt, All Saints’ intensity dropped off in the final quarter and St Teresa’s took full advantage as they finished strongly with three consecutive points before Mark Small fired in a great goal for the Glen Road men.

All Saints: 1 Ryan Stewart, 2 Eoin Walsh, 3 James Gillan, 4 James McDonnell 0-1, 5 Michael Read, 6 Shaun O’Callaghan 0-1, 7 Cal O’Brien, 8 Sean McVeigh (0-2), 9 Emmet Killough 0-1, 10 Eoin Campbell 0-1(1f), 11 Kavan Keenan 2-1, 12 Brendan McDonnell 0-1 (1f), 13 Connell Lemon 0-2, 14 Peter Reynolds, 15 Luke O’Rawe 1-0, Subs: Daniel McCoy, Archie McGreevey, Charlie Matrustry, Ciaran McGarry, Darach Bradley 0-1(1f), Ronan McKillop, Rhys O’Mullan, Ryan Thom, Luke Walsh, Shea O’Brien, Matthew Downey,

Ryan Thom for Cal O’Brien

Shea O’Brien for Emmet Killough

Ciaran McGarry for Eoin Campbell

Sean McVeigh for Rhys O’Mullan

St. Teresa’s: 1 Odhran O’Neill, 2 Ryan Mallon, 3 Anthony Vandell, 4 Ronan Hamill, 5 Colm McGoldrick, 6 Stephen Carey, 7 Sean Maguire, 8 Darren McCann, 9 Luke Cassin 0-1, 10 John Mallon 0-1, 11 Niall McCann 0-1, 12 Phil Maguire, 13 Mark Small 1-2, 14 Anton Taylor 0-1, 15 Ciaran Murtagh, Paul McGoldrick, Eoin Gault, Conor O’Rawe

Referee: Sean Laverty

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.