Lámhs winning run continues with hard fought victory

O’Neill’s Sportswear ACFL Division One 

Aghgallon 0-08-2-05 Lámh Dhearg 

Kevin Herron reports from Pairc Na nGael 

First half goals from Adam Murray and Terry McCrudden proved decisive as Lámh Dhearg chalked up their fifth victory on the spin with a hard fought 2-05-0-08 win over Aghagallon at Pairc Na nGael on Sunday afternoon. 

The hosts were five unbeaten with four wins and a draw from their last reversal at home on April 12th, whilst Lámh Dhearg were hoping to make it five wins on the spin after a slow start to their league campaign. 

It was the Hannahstown side that were first off the mark through a floated point from Declan Lynch, though Gareth Magee levelled things up from a converted free. 

A foul on Michael Hynds lead to Declan Dunne restoring his sides lead from a free and the red hands would find the game’s opening goal after ten minutes. 

Terry McCrudden forced a turnover in his sides defensive third and switched the ball to Michael Hynds to stride forward. 

Hynds picked out Carl Maxwell and he in turn found Adam Murray, who weaved his way into a shooting position and saw his deflected effort loop into the net to move his side 1-02-0-01 ahead. 

Adam Murray gets his shot away and Declan Dunne watches on as it is deflected into the net

Aghagallon responded midway through the half when Magee slipped the ball to Jamie Lamont to drop a shot over. 

Carl Maxwell would restore his sides four-point lead almost instantly, popping over after Declan Dunne’s lay-off on a breakaway attack. 

Things got much better for the Lámhs as they hit their second goal of the half on 23 minutes. The visitors showed patience in abundance and continued to keep hold of possession until the right moment when Paddy Mervyn fisted the ball to Terry McCrudden and his scuffed shot found the bottom corner to give his side a 2-03-0-02 lead. 

Aghagallon would finish the half with three unanswered points to cut the deficit before the break. 

Jamie Lamont doubled his personal tally for the half and converted frees from Hugh Hannon and Gareth Magee ensured their side trailed 2-03-0-05 at the break. 

Aghagallon picked up where they left off at the interval as Magee kicked his third free of the afternoon a few minutes after the break. 

Declan Dunne and Carl Maxwell then caught the hosts napping and took advnatage when the later swung over his second point of proceedings, from Dunne’s quickly taken free. 

The hosts hit back immediately with Eunan Walsh floating a shot between the posts and a further free from Magee had two-points separating the sides with ten-minutes remaining. 

Declan Dunne would kick his second free of the afternoon to open up a goal advantage as the game creeped towards it conclusion. 

Aghagallon pushed for a goal that would have saw them salvage a share of the spoils in added time. 

John Finucane was forced to turn away a goal bound effort and then Eunan Walsh worked an opportunity from the follow-up and his effort rose and struck the large post and came out. 

Lámh Dhearg would see through a nervy few minutes to make it five wins in a row and bring to an end Aghagallon’s fine run of late. 

Aghagallon: D O’Hagan, A Mulholland, D McAlernon, P Branigan, C Maginnis, J Lamont (0-02), P Gowdy, D Donnelly, J Lenehan, J Hannon, E Walsh (0-01), P Maginnis, E McCartan, G Magee (0-04f), H Hannon (0-01f). 

Lámh Dhearg: J Finucane, F Mervyn, M McGarry, P Larkin, D Smyth, D Lynch (0-01), M Hynds, P Mervyn, M McElgunn, C Maxwell (0-02), S McManus, C Murray, T McCrudden (1-00), D Dunne (0-02f), A Murray (1-00).Subs: Ross Murray for F Mervyn (40), K Fay-Kelly for A Murray (44), D Martin for M McElgunn (56), E Stanley for C Maxwell (60+1). 

Referee: Darren McKeown (Naomh Gall)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.