Moneyglass gain final berth

By Geordie McGuckin


Reserve Football Shield (semi-final) Replay

St Ergnat’s Moneyglass 1-12 St Comgall’s Antrim 1-07

The final of the Reserve Plate competition will feature St Ergnat’s Moneyglass against St Brigid’s after the South west side took second opportunity to progress against a lively St Comgall’s in the semi final replay on Sunday.

The sides had finished all square, and inseparable in the initial game despite the addition of an ‘extra’ thirty minutes but after a Christopher Mc Greevey 27th minute goal ensured that the St Ergnat’s men took the lead they were not to be headed again.

The Antrim men had taken an early lead via an excellent Aaron McGaw opening minute point but the home side with the pace laden Conal Prenter first to every ball leading the way in attack were 0-05 to 0-01 by the 12th minute.

The corner forward who does look one to keep an eye on in the future nipped out well ahead of his marker to receive from Stephen Devlin to forward directly between the posts in the 4th minute shortly after Ryan Boyd opened their account with a similar score.

Centre forward Boyd who had hinted at possible retirement early in the season did underline such was certainly a premature decision in a very assured performance with his eye for a score as good as ever.

Another point from Boyd in the 8th minute as Conal Prenter delivered saw the home side increase advantage and again in the 12th minute as Kevin Mc Peake spearheaded the offensive the ever available Prenter struck again and raising white to make it 0-05 to 0-01.

The Antrim side had looked tentative in the early phase but settling into proceedings they proceeded to activity and dominating the next minutes they were to turn deficit to advantage.A Ruairi Mc Larnon 14th minute point was followed in kind when ‘blood replacement’ Thomas Craig added another.

The Comgall’s side had gained in composure and taking the game to the opposition in positive offensive when Conor Mc Auley sent Paul Quinn in on target and the full forward was upended in the square, penalty was the prompt decision.

Quinn after dusting himself down assumed responsibility for ‘spot’ kicking duty with utmost confidence despatching into the corner of the net.

The St Comgall’s men had gone ahead at 1-03 to 0-05 and although a Christopher Mc Greevey point allowed the home side to draw level again a foul on Paul Quinn opened the way for Ruairi Mc Larnon to split the posts again at the other end to restore the Antrim lead.

The sides did proceed in end to end activity as the opening period progressed and after Conal Prenter’s 23rd minute strike closed the gap a similar score at the other end from Ruairi Mc Larnon ensured the Antrim men were back in front.

It looked as if the opening period would complete with the sides on terms after Christopher Mc Greevey squared the issue when he despatched a 28th minute free over the bar, but more was to follow in the dramatic last few minutes.

The home side did grab a well constructed goal both in approach and indeed delivery as Conal Prenter fetched to send Caolan Murray in for a 30th minute goal and Benny made a smart save at the other end to deny Paul Quinn a reply in kind at the other end a minute thereafter.

The Moneyglass keeper who made intervention to make several smart saves was not the be denied as he thwarted the Antrim full forward as he sought to find the net and when the loose ball fell kindly to Conor Mc Auley the former was positioned to make double save.

Moneyglass took the break at 1-08 to 1-05 thanks to their keeper.

 McLarnon ’45’

The second period opened with the St Comgall’s on the offensive, and indeed with an early score as Ruairi Mc Larnon stroked a ‘45’ directly between the posts in the 32nd minute.

The home side did make quick reply hover and another super Ryan Boyd 34th minute point ensured they retained a three point advantage.

The Antrim men were forced into change early in the period as full back Stephen Webb was forced out of the action with a head injury and lady luck was most certainly not smiling on them a few minutes later as James Mc Cabe fisted effort went directly to the Moneyglass net and ruled out as admissible as consequence.

Moneyglass did return to the offensive and when Ryan Boyd and Christopher Mc Greevey hoisted back to back whites in the 42nd and 44th minutes the home side enjoyed a five point lead.

A strong direct dash through the middle was suitably rewarded when James Mc Cabe was rewarded with a fine 46th minute point did offer the Antrim men hope but they were to be reduced in number a few minutes thereafter when Paul Quinn picked up a second yellow and the inevitable red which followed.

Christopher Mc Greevey’s 51st minute point did open up a five point gap again and that was to prove the final addition to the scoreboard.

The St Comgall’s did raise their efforts in the concluding minutes to reduce the deficit but such was in vain as the home side stood tall in defiance to make way to the final of the Reserve Shield competition, and a meeting up with St Brigid’s in the decider crossing the winning line at 1-12 to 1-07.


Benny Marron, Ronan Neeson, Stephen Magill, Callum Mc Stocker, Stephen Devlin, Kevin Mc Peake, Sean Mc Glinchey, Ryan Mc Greevey, Callum Murray (1-00), Ryan Boyd (0-04), James Duffin, Brendan Conway, Christopher Mc Greevey (0-03), Conal Prenter (0-05).


Mark Duffin for R Boyd


St Comgall’s

Paul Burns, Callum Mc Cabe, Stephen Webb, Oisin Mc Auley, Conor Mc Larnon, Niall Taggart, Aaron Mc Gaw (0-01),  Lewis Higgins, Daryl Mc Neil, Ruairi Mc Larnon (0-04), James Mc Cabe (0-01), Joe Webb, Conor Mc Auley, Paul Quinn (1-00), Ruairi Graffin.


Paul Flanagan for S Webb

Kevin Kennedy for J Webb

Michael Mc Cabe for J Mc Cabe

Referee P Mc Keever (Casement’s)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.