St Enda’s run riot in second half

image3Pics by Michael Morgan

Cushendun 1-6 St Enda’s 3-19

When Cushendun turned around just three points in arrears in Sunday’s league game with St Enda’s they must have felt they were still very much in the game but a second half blitz by the Glengormley men completely overpowered the Emmets as they outscored them by 2-11 to 0-1 in the second half.

These teams could count themselves unlucky to lose out in last year’s Junior and Intermediate hurling finals and so on paper St Enda’s ( who were edged out by Cloughmills in the Septembers’ Intermediate final) started favourites. However during that first half the home team matched them well and when James Morgan goaled in the eleventh minute they held a 1-2 to 0-2 lead. St Enda’s response was quick though and less than a minute later John McGoldrick fired in a penalty to level the scores and midfielder Aidan Magowan edged them in front with a point from a 65.

Dominic McQuillan levelled matters again with a Cushendun point but points from Magowan (3), Conor McSteen and Joe Maskey in reply to one each from Harry Kilgore and James Morgan pulled the Glengormley men three clear at the break.


When the game resumed at the start of the second half the Emmets were hit by and express train as the Glengormley outfit took complete control of the game. A point inside thirty seconds by substitute Ruairi Donaghy made an immediate contribution with a point and when Magowan added a goal a minute later the signs weren’t good for the home side. It was all one way traffic as points came in the 33rd, 34th, 36th, 38th 40th, 42nd, and 43rd minutes before Donaghy grabbed his team’s third goal in the 47th. Leo Morgan got his team’s solitary score of the second half in the 53rd minute but it was a mere consolation as Kelleher, McSteen and Magowan finished the route three late points.

Referee – Michael Hardy (Rasharkin)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.