Moneyglass Remain in Contention But Must Wait on St. Enda’s Final Result


ACFL Division Two

Tir na Nog 0-06 Moneyglass 1-13

St Ergnat’s, Moneyglass remain in contention for promotion when they completed their league campaign with a ten point win secured up at Whitehill on Wednesday evening as they crossed the winning line with a 1-13 to 0-06 advantage but they will have to remain in waiting for confirmation.

St Enda’s remain hot on the heels of the Marian Hill residents and just a single point in arrears after the Glengormley men remained in excellent form with a home win gained over the visiting St Brigid’s on the same evening and if the Hightown men can complete their programme with victory over the league champions St Joseph’s Glenavy at the week-end they will take the second promotion place.

Moneyglass having lost out to St Enda’s on their last assignment took the road to Randalstown certain in the knowledge that nothing less than an away win would suffice if they were to retain any hope of promotion this term and a sodden Whitehill pitch awaited following the deluge which had fallen on the previous evening.

Both sides were missing several regulars with Tir Na nOg withholding quite a number of regulars with and Intermediate Hurling Championship game against Carey scheduled for this weekend. It took both the home side and their visitors a while to adapt to the heavy surface which prevailed and it was only after both in turn had spurned respective openings to get on the scoreboard that Jervis Weir came forward to get Moneyglass away in front with a 9th minute point.

Dermot Mc Erlean who had impressed in the championship success gained by Moneyglass at the week-end and progress gained over Rasharkin doubled his side’s tally with a 12th minute point as Sean Kelly came forward to offer supply with the home side on target a minute thereafter as Dara Feagan despatched a 40metre free between the posts.

The St Ergnat’s men looked more than more comfortable than their hosts on the heavy terrain and indeed more at ease than the Tir na nOg side which had endured a ‘hard to take’ last minute reversal in their championship assignment on Sunday evening when the concession of an injury time goal  knocked them for six.

Back to back points from Sean Kelly and Tiernan Duffin extended the Moneyglass lead and although a Darren Mc Cormick fetch opened the way for Oran Mc Neilly to reply with a point secured at the other end Moneyglass replied with further white flags raised in sequence by Jervis Weir and Seanachan Duffin to make it 0-06 to 0-02.

Moneyglass had seized the initiative and finished the period on the positive with Conal Prenter combining with the stylish Dermot Mc Erlean to see the latter grab an eye catching 26th minute goal and when Seanachan Duffin and Mc Erlean added further points apiece the visitors took respite with a 1-08 to 0-02 lead when the short blast signalled temporary cessation.

The second period commenced on a Whitehill pitch which was looking less inviting and the end looked in sight as early points from Dermot Mc Erlean and Colm Prenter extended advantage.

The Moneyglass management seemed content that the job was done as they emptied their bench as a full complement of replacements were introduced.

The home side were not about to make concession however and they were to fire several warning shots across the bows of their visitors in the next few minutes raising four unanswered white flags in the next phase.

Moneyglass seemed to have eased off the throttle for a term and it was only after Barry Mc Cormick raised back to back white flags, and his sibling Darren as well as Gerard Martin followed in kind that the St Ergnat’s men returned to the coal face.

Indeed it took a good interception by full back Donal Laverty to thwart the home side’s Gerard Martin when a goal looked a possibility when the corner back made strides on the right hand side just at the start of the last quarter.

A 49th minute pointed free from the boot of late replacement Paul Tohill restored order for the visitors and when Jervis Weir added another and the former increased his tally a couple of minutes later Moneyglass were on their way to the points crossing the winning line at 1-13 to 0-06.

Referee J Moran (Aldergrove)

Tir na Nog: S P Mc Atamney, Sean Redmond, Barry Magee, Gerard Martin (0-01), Conor Montgomery, Michael Dempsey, Barry Mc Cormick (0-02), Richard Fitzgerald, Darren Mc Cormick (0-01), Simon Carey, Oran Mc Neilly (0-01), Dara Feagan (0-01), Dara Kerr, Mark Mc Coy, Barry Heffron


Moneyglass: Daniel Mc Erlean, Kevin Mc Laughlin, Donal Laverty, Michael Mc Laughlin, Sean Kelly (0-01), Gerard Carey, Jervis Weir (0-03), Tiernan Duffin (0-01), Seanachan Duffin (0-02), Ryan Doyle, Seamus Devlin, Benny Conway, Dermot Mc Erlean (1-02), Conal Prenter (0-01)


Paul Tohill (0-02) for D Mc Erlean

Gavin Murray for S Duffin

Callum Mc Stocker for M Mc Laughlin

Ronan Neeson for S Kelly

Miron Neeson for S Devlin

Padraig Mackle for B Conway

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.