Creggan in pole position after victory over St. Gall’s but nothing decided yet


Blackstone_logo_BWO’Neill’s ACFL Division 1

Creggan 4-10   St. Gall’s  0-12

Creggan put themselves in pole position in the race for the O’Neill’s ACFL Division 1 title when they entertained nearest rivals St. Gall’s in a rearranged game at their Staffordstown Road ground and recorded a 10 point win over the visitors

In a highly entertaining game with both teams preparing for championship it was end to end from start to finish. A Conor Small double and goals from Ruairi McCann and Oistin McAteer were the deciding scores in the end however as Creggan gained revenge for a defeat to St. Gall’s earlier in the season

Kickham’s started the game sprightly with points from Kevin Small and David McGuckin but St. Galls replied through Jackson McGreevey. Creggan struck with the first goal of the game and a great flowing move finished with Conor Small who slotted the ball low into the corner of the net for the game’s  first goal in the 7th minute with his brother Kevin scoring his second point a minute later. St. Galls responded with points from Michael Pollock and CJ  McGourtey to keep in touch as play flowed from end to end. Sam Maguire marked his return to the side following a serious injury against Lamh Dhearg with a good point to keep the home side ahead and fellow defender, Ricki Johnston added another as the Staffordstown Road side continued to edge the first half exchanges.

It was still anybody’s game as half time approached with CJ McGourty and Micky Pollock for the visitors and Kevin Small for the home side exchanging late scores to leave  the Kickham’s 1.06 to 0.05 ahead at the break.

Creggan were well ahead at this stage in the corresponding fixture at Milltown but saw a healthy half time lead overturned in the second half and were determined that this wouldn’t happen again as they made a determined and fruitful start to the second half. Ruairi McCann was rewarded for all his hard work with an early point and followed with a goal in the opening five minutes and the home side looked to be taking control.

St Galls had other ideas however as they responded with five unanswered points through Eoin McCabe (2) Kevin Niblock, CJ and Ciaran McGourty and it looked like we had a real battle on our hands.

The home side were able to find a response however as Conor Small fired over an excellent point and followed with his second goal as he calmly slotted home in the 20th minute  with Tiarnan McAteer adding another point.

St. Galls continued to press for goals in the closing stages but the Creggan defence stood firm and the Milltown Row side had to settle for a couple of points from Kevin Niblock and Anto Healey. Kickham’s hit back again to secure an excellent victory and the industrious Fintan Burke calmly fisted over before the live wire Liam Quinn set up Oistin McAteer to fist to the back of the net and ensure there would be no way back for St. Gall’s.

With two games remaining Creggan move two points ahead of St. Gall’s and have parish rivals Cargin and Casement’s Portglenone as visitors for those two remaining fixtures while St. Gall’s have St. John’s and Lamh Dhearg as visitors so nothing is decided yet but a first league title for quite a number of year’s is within the grasp of the Kickham’s.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.