Strong Finishing Aghagallon Claim the Points

Under-21 Football Championship (Phase One)

St Ergnat’s Moneyglass 3-07 St Mary’s Aghagallon 3-09

It took a late goal from second half replacement Adam Loughran to secure the win and the required points as the St Mary’s men came from off the pace to grab victory over a brave Moneyglass side in a hugely enjoyable under-21 championship affair under the lights at Toome on Tuesday evening.

Aghagallon having lost out to Dunloy at the same venue in the opening round of the competition required a full return of the points if they were to remain in contention for a place in the quarter finals of the A section and with less than ten minutes remaining on the clock and a full four points in arrears such aspiration looked forlorn until the intervention of their substitute and a super late goal.

Aghagallon had started in style and less than a minute into proceeding full forward Daniel Hannon had the ball in the back of the net after Eunan Walsh had claimed the start throw in before dashing forward to open the way for the major.

Moneyglass opened account a few minutes into proceedings as Dermot Mc Erlean split the posts but the St Ergnat’s were forced into early change as Sean Kelly was forced out of the game and on his way to A&E with a shoulder injury but they were to take advantage in the 10th minute as a super charged Gavin Murray solo and a slick lay off to Patrick McCormick saw the wing half back sent the leather to the back of the net.

The St Ergnat’s lads having endured an early concession had recovered to gain advantage and when corner back Eamon Kelly joined in the offensive his 13th minute point ensured a two point lead, 1-02 to 1-00.

A stiff cross field southerly breeze and a slippery sod ensured conditions were far from ideal but both sides were giving of their best and after a super long range Paul Mulholland point saw the St Mary’s side reduce the deficit to the minimum Jack Mc Coy skipped over the terrain to return in kind a couple of minutes later.

St Ergnat’s were a couple clear again but such advantage was not to endure for long as a well laid approach involving Jack Lenaghan and Eunan Walsh saw the latter’s cross field delivery punched to the back of the net by the impressive Daniel Hannon to regain advantage.

The St Mary’s camp having celebrated the full forward’s second major were to be dealt a major blow shortly after as mid fielder Jack Lenaghan, who had looked at a yellow card early in the game was to endure another for a foul on the advancing Dermot McErlean and the inevitability of the red to follow.

Although reduced in number a 26th point from the hard grafting Eunan Walsh ensure Aghagallon increased their advantage but a slick approach with Eamon Kelly, Dermot McErlain and Patrick Mc Cormick involved opened the way for Enda Duffin to finish stylishly to the net with the short blast imminent.

Daniel Hannon did find the target again in time added and his late point ensured nothing separated the sides at the end of the period as they took respited tied at 2-03 apiece.

Aghagallon rang the changes for the second period as they introduced Adam Loughran, Mark Mc Afee, Stephen Brannigan, and Gary Downing and in the event the replacements were to make impact on proceedings.

Moneyglass led the way for most of the period and after a scintillating Jack McCoy finish following a well laid approach which involved Ronan Graham, Patrick Mc Cormick and Conal Prenter sent the lively wing half forward to fire to the back of the net at the end of the third quarter they looked in charge.

Conal Prenter added a long range point and Dermot McErlean combined in approach with the impressive Eamon Kelly to add another the St Ergnat’s men had earned a 3-07 to 2-06 advantage and with less than ten minutes remaining they seemed on the way.

Aghagallon looked in trouble but cometh the hour cometh the man and in this occasion Adam Loughran was to prove hugely influential in the remainder of the game.

The second period replacement, who had seen duty in the ranks of the St Ronan’s College side in McCrory cup action earlier in the day, kick started the revival with a 53rd minute pointed free and he rose to claim the resultant kick out and followed strong approach on the left wing to plant the leather in the back of the net and ensure his side was back on terms.

Aghagallon regained composure and indeed seized the initiative and when a foul on the incoming, hard grafting Daniel Hannon proved all too easy for Adam Loughran to add a point from the placed effort they had taken the lead, The resultant kick out was then claimed on the ‘40’ by Niall McShane and returned over the bar and the Lough Shore side were a couple of points clear.

Moneyglass tried to respond but the Aghagallon rear guard were not to be moved as they stood tall in defiance with Pat Brannigan leading by example and as the long blast brought relief they had gained the points required breasting the winning line at 3-09 to 3-07.

Moneyglass: Gary Murray, Eamon Kelly (0-02), Tiernan Duffin, Michael Martin, Patrick Mc Cormick (1-00), Sean Kelly, Oisin Duffin, Dermot Mc Erlean (0-01), Paul Tohill, Ronan Graham, Ben Hamill, Jack Mc Coy (1-01), Gavin Murray, Conal Prenter 0-03), Enda Duffin (1-00).


Eamon Mc Erlean for Sean Kelly (inj)


Aghagallon: Luke Mulholland, Aaron Doherty, Aiden Mulholland, James Grant, Paul Mulholland (0-01), Jamie Lamont, Jack Lenaghan, Eunan Walsh (0-03), Seannan Donnelly, Niall Mc Shane (0-01), Caolan Reynolds, Emmett Lavery, Daniel Hannon (2-01), Dara Mc Shane



Adam Loughran (1-02) for C Reynolds

Mark Mc Afee for E Lavery

Stephen Brannigan for S Donnelly

Gary Downing for D McShane

Referee Cathal Mc Dermott (Tir na nOg)


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.