Late Scullion goal earns Cargin a place in the Final

Thomas Devlin Car Sales Under-12 League (semi-final)

                    St Mary’s Aghagallon I-09 Erin’s Own Cargin 3-06

A late injury time goal by Killian Scullion proved the difference as Cargin progressed to the Under-12 decider with a win over Aghagallon on Friday evening. Orlaigh Johnston instigated the score with an interception in defence and a strong right sided approach by Niall Quinn saw him set up Scullion who applied a deft finishing touch.

The Toome side having played second fiddle to Aghagallon in both the previous league encounters home and away, started this one very much in the role of underdogs and although an early goal from the impressive Niall Quinn gave them advantage such was not to last as the home side made quick reply.

Eoin Branken was to raise a green flag at the other end just a couple of minutes later and the wing half forward followed with a point to see his side take the lead. Eran Loughran added another from a 30 metre free and the St Mary’s were two ahead.

Aghagallon continued to push forward but Cargin stood tall in defence and although Eran Loughran did add another point the Erin’s Own lads were to dominate the remainder of the twenty minute period.

Patrick O’ Neill despatched a 30 metre free between the posts and then Ewan McLaverty and Jack O’ Neill combined to send Niall Quinn scampering away on the right hand side before firing to the back of the net to bring the sides level.

Carl Scullion’s 16th minute point saw the visitors reclaim the lead and when Patrick O’ Neill split the posts and Ryan Mc Peake set up the flame haired centre forward for another, the Toome boys took respite at 2-04 to 1-04.

Cargin nipped away from the start blocks at the start of the second half with an early score as Patrick O’ Neill added a 24th minute point to his personal haul.

The home side, now four points in arrears were being posed questions and in the event Colin Loughran’s charges were soon to bridge the gap.

It was backs to the wall for the Erin’s Own lads as Aghagallon strode forward with some purpose.

The home side did struggle to find the target for a time before a 31st minute Aiden Brady point reduced the deficit.

St. Mary’s added further points through Eran Loughran, Ben Dervan, and centre forward Aiden Brady to put them back on level par and seemed to have the momentum.

Cargin had backs to the wall as the game clock moved into time added although the Aghagallon net minder Jamie Hatchett did well to deny Niall Quinn his hat trick in the 41st minute.

Niall Quinn’s daisy cutting delivery in the 42nd set up Killian Scullion who deflected the leather over the line to send Cargin into the September 29th Under-12 decider.

Referee M Hopksiss (St Joseph’s)


Aghagallon: Jamie Hatchett, Daragh Smyth, Cormac Mulholland, Ronan O’ Connor, Aiden Mc Intyre, Eran Loughran (0-03), Michael Grogan (0-01), Ben Derven (0-01), Aiden Brady, Eoin Branken (1-02), Cormac Mc Gavigan, Conor Mc Gavigan


Conleth Grugen

Ruairi Campbell

Cargin: Conleth Hamill, Orlaigh Johnston, Eoin Scullion, Daragh Mc Auley, Fiontan Hardy, Fiontan O’ Donnell, Ewan Mc Laverty, Jack O’ Neill, Carl Mc Cann (0-01), Dara O’ Boyle, Patrick O’ Neill (0-04), Ryan Mc Peake, Niall Quinn (2-01)


Roisin Quinn

Killian Scullion

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.