Aggies cruise to opening day victory


ACFL Division Three 

St Agnes 2-10-0-03 O’Donnell’s  

From Kevin Herron at Woodlands 

St Agnes’ made the perfect start to life under Tyrone native ‘Tiffy’ Quinn with a comfortable 2-10-0-03 win over O’Donnell’s in their league opener at Woodlands on Sunday afternoon.  

Playing with a strong wind advantage in the first period, the Aggies dominated the opening half and took a huge foothold through a Kevin Grieve goal.  

Conor Pelan added a second a few minutes after the restart and O’Donnell’s failed to recover – eventually ending the game with 14-players after Padraig McKissock’s late dismissal.  

St Agnes’ settled into the game quicker on a cold Sunday morning at Woodlands as Ronan Carroll converted an early free.  

Carroll would add a second from a similar scenario and a superb Kevin Grieve point had the hosts 0-03 to the good after eight minutes.  

O’Donnell’s were disjointed in the opening half – playing against a stiff breeze and it took them until the midway point in the half to register their first score- a converted free from Padraig McKissock.  

Grieve restored his sides three-point advantage though, scooping the ball into his hands and firing over on the turn.  

McKissock immediately replied however with a little help from the elements- his shot caught in the breeze and tailed over to make it 0-04-0-02.  

St Agnes’ again restored their three-point lead with Ronan Carroll’s third converted free and sixty seconds later the game’s opening goal arrived.  

On 27 minutes; Declan McLarnon gathered Conor Walsh’s kickout and slipped the ball through to Kevin Grieve who adjusted his run and slide past Walsh and into the corner to make it 1-05-0-02.  

A further point from full-forward Declan Crummey had St Agnes’ seven ahead at the interval – but the hosts would have to play against the strong elements in the second period.  

It was St Agnes’ who conjured up the opening score of the second-half through Carroll (free) and Kevin Grieve then cut inside and floated the ball over for his third point of the afternoon. 

Better was to come for the hosts on 35 minutes as Conor Pelan advanced with possession and confidently lobbed the ball into the top corner to give his side a 2-08-0-02 lead.  

Grieve added a further point in the aftermath- though the Aggies escaped their first real let-off at the other end.  

Padraig McKissock swung a delightful ball to the backpost where Conor McGuigan was stationed- but McGuigan could only fist his goal chance against the post to the relief of Colm Carroll in the St Agnes’ goal.  

Substitute Caoilan Loughran swung over his sides only score of the half on 43 minutes but O’Ds saw another goal chance go abegging soon after.  

Fergal McNerney stepped up for a close range free which was turned off a congested goal-line and back to safety.  

The Whiterock men’s frustrating afternoon took another turn for the worst six-minutes from time as Padraig McKissock was given his marching orders for catching Ronan Carroll with an elbow – that referee John Moran deemed was intentional.  

St Agnes’ added a late point courtesy of substitute James Halleron as their new era under Tiffy Quinn got off to a perfect start.  

St Agnes’: C Carroll, P Carroll, P Mulgrew, C Flannery, R Carroll (0-04f), R Reilly, B McLarnon, C Turley, C McBride, C Pelan (1-00), M Caldwell, M Murdoch, D McLarnon, D Crummey (0-01), K Grieve (1-04). Subs: J Halleron (0-01) for D Crummey (45); C Gilligan for M Caldwell (53); C Flannery for M Murdoch (61); M Toland for C Pelan (61); M Carlin for K Grieve (61).  

O’Donnell’s: C Walsh, C O’Donnell, C Walsh, G McKernan, S Og McVeigh, J O’Donnell, J Rafferty, J Rafferty, F McNerney, C McKissock, C McGuigan, J McKenna, S O’Donnell, P McKissock (0-02, 0-01f), S Seawright. Subs: R Rafferty for S Og McVeigh (19); C Loughran (0-01) for S Seawright (HT); J Walker for C O’Donnell (42); G Sloan for G McKernan (54).  

Referee: John Moran (Aldergrove) 


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.