All Saints pip Aghagallon in minor opener

Creagh Concrete Minor Football Championship

Aghagallon 1-10 All Saints 2-9

Report and pics by Eamon Shanks

After the long wait to get the season started it was All Saints who left Pairc na nGael with both points with a two point advantage which was a fair reflection of how the sixty minutes panned out.
After a rusty start with both sides exchanging wides it was the visitors who scored twice in the sixth minute – Aidan Scullion got the first and Ciaran Campbell quickly got another.

St Marys opened their account when Hugh Hannon played a quick free kick over the All Saints’ defence and Michael Mc Stravick managed to shrug off the challenge of the defender to put the ball over the bar – however having played the advantage, the challenge was enough for referee Gerard Duggan to take action and the young Ballymena defender was “sin binned”. With the numerical advantage St Marys managed to get in front, Hugh Hannon drew them level from a short free and then Liam Russell cut inside to put the hosts in front.

All Saints settled and Aidan Scullion drew them level from a free and just as they returned to full strength, they were awarded a penalty, however Ronan Blaney made a great save from Scullion’s effort to keep them level. 
Hugh Hannon scored another two frees before half time but the impressive Aidan Scullion got a brace himself to take the sides to the break at 0:05 a piece.

Jake White caught the throw in and powered his way through the St Mary’s defence for a great individual point but again we had parity on the scoreboard when Michael Mc Stravick scored another free.
Again, White showed strength and composure as he broke from midfield and put All Saints into a lead that they would not surrender. Ronan Mc Killop opened his account with a point from distance and Scullion got his fifth point of the game. Mc Stravick pulled one back but before the water break All Saints were awarded another penalty when Charlie Metrusty was tripped in the square. This time Jake White took the spot kick and made no mistake sending the sides into the break with a 1:09 to 0:07 lead.
Mc Stravick scored another two points but any hopes of a comeback were all but gone when a long-range effort from Ronan Mc Killop dipped in under the bar.

With goals the order of the day now St Marys had one free blocked on the line before Hugh Hannon tried to drop another into the danger area only to see it bounce off the bar and over. Ruairi Mc Shane did give a glimmer of hope with a well taken goal but All Saints managed the game to victory.

St Mary’s
Ronan Blaney, Eoin Brown, Stephen Devlin, Leo Mallon, Jack Nelson, Jack Hannon, Johnny Hannon, Pauric Magunniess, Max Thomas, Hugh Hannon(0-04), Liam Russell (0-01), Paudi Gowdy, Michael Mc Stravick (0-05), Conleth Smyth, Ruairi Mc Shane (1-00)
Subs Enda Mc Cartan for Conleth Smyth Ethan Lavery for Jack Nelson

All Saints
Daniel Mc Coy, Jude Casey, Jack Agnew, Paddy O’Brien, Ryan Mc Cartney, Michael Read, Patrick Ferris, Conall Killough, Jake White (1-02), Ronan Mc Killop (1-01), Oisin Connolly, Aidan Scullion (0-05), Ciaran Campbell (0-01), Ross Mc Kay, Charlie Metrusty

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.