Another strong Portglenone performance

Senior Res Football Cup-Group 1

Aghagallon 1-9 Portglenone 2-14

Both teams on display tonight deserve credit – they served up an enjoyable game of football on a damp, miserable evening with Portglenone making it two wins from two with a strong performance.

Peter Duffin opened the scoring for the visitors but Davey McAlernon drew the sides level with a great solo effort, marking in midfield before carrying into shooting range and taking the finish the move deserved. Portglenone clicked into gear and their passing and direct running was rewarded with scores from James Mc Larnon with two points, Kieron McKenna with two and Niall Kelly with three, combined with a well taken Peter Duffin goal just before the first water break – all the host could muster in this period was a free from Conor McKavanagh. 

However, the restart saw a change in fortune and when Fintan Campbell scored from a free the home team played with a bit of confidence, Davey McAlernon was pulled back in midfield but referee John Moran allowed play to develop and Fintan Campbell delivered into the edge of the box where he found the marauding Jonny Harbinson and the wing back kept his composure to raise the green flag. Dessie Marshall and Adam Shanks exchanged passed and Marshall pulled back another point, and despite being guilty of a few wides the home team had clawed their way back from the water break to leave the half time score 1:04 to 1:08

Right at the start of the second half there was confusion when the referee appeared to allow a mark from a free but having time to think about it, he corrected his decision. Kelly and McLarnon got early points before Stephen Kelly scored the visitors second major and seemed to put the game beyond doubt. 

Jonny Harbinson and Callum Fitzpatrick registered points but Niall Kelly demonstrated how the mark should be used with another clinical finish. Just before the second water break Damien O Hagan did well and made a point blank save.

In the final period McKenna, McLoughlin and McLarnon added for the visitors and Aghagallon increased their tally with points from Adam Shanks and Fintan Campbell got two more chances to show his accuracy from the dead ball with a “45” and a free. Davey McAlernon was unfortunate not to pull back a goal after beating the defence, he appeared to be fouled as he got his shot away and could only watch as the ball trickled off the post and was cleared.

St Mary’s 1:09 Roger Casements 2:14

St Marys: Damien O Hagan, Daire McShane, Roland Mulholland, James Crossey, Jonathan Harbinson (1:01), Arron Doherty, Fintan Campbell (0:03), David McAlernon(0:01), Niall Rodgers, Callum Fitzpatrick (0:01), Dessie Marshall(0:01), Cormac Lavery, Adam Shanks (0:01), Joe Lavelle, Conor Mc Kavanagh (0:01)

Declan Mulholland, Joseph McAlinden, Sean Branagan

Roger Casements: Brian McManus, Adrian McKeever, Declan Dobbin, Christie Convery, Patrick Gaffin, Paddy Carey, Aidan McAleese, Stephen Kelly (1:00), Ciaran Lynch, Peter Duffin (1:01), Frank Cassidy, Kieron McKenna (0:03), Corey McLaughlin (0:01), Naill Kelly (0:05), James McLarnon (0:04)

Conor Graham, Declan McErlean, Fergal O Kane

Referee John Moran

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.