Cargin had to work hard to gain victory

Northern Switchgear SFC (Round two) group 2

Erin’s Own Cargin 2-09  St Mary’s Aghagallon 0-12

Erin’s Own Cargin were forced to dig deep to gain a second victory in this year’s SFC when they came from behind to gain the verdict over Aghagallon at Toome on Wednesday evening.

Damien Cassidy’s men were forced to make early change as Ciaran Bradley was forced out of the action and John Carron limped out shortly after as they found themselves in arrears at the start of the second half.

The 12th minute injury to youngster Bradley had earned a penalty which Pat Shivers clinically despatched home and followed an exquisite Kieran Close major a few minutes earlier.

The evergreen corner man was on the end of a well worked approach involving James Laverty, Ronan Gribbin, and Jamie Gribbin and the finish was right out of the top drawer to see his side gain advantage after the visitors had nipped away to raise a couple of white flags in the early minutes.

Gareth Magee opened the scoring when he fired an opening minute free kick between the posts and when Caolan Farr followed with a second the visitors  were on their way.

The penalty strike from Pat Shivers gave Cargin a four point lead but had been earned at a cost with the loss of the impressive wing man Bradley and the accuracy from the dead ball by the Aghagallon corner man Gareth Magee ensured they kept in touch with their hosts.

Cargin struggled to gain cohesion although Kevin Mc Shane was strong in the central zone and the penalty strike gave them a four point advantage but the visitors came back strongly as Kevin Murray’s side sensed the opportunity of an upset.

The St Mary’s men began to eat into the Cargin lead and when net minder Luke Mulholland stepped forward to despatch a 32nd minute ‘45’ between the posts for a second time in the game it was all square at  2-04 to 0-10.

Aghagallon started the second half as they had concluded first and nipped ahead in the opening minutes through Ruairi McCann as the mid-fielder split the posts.

Cargin responded as Kieran Close and replacement Michael Magill added points but the advantage was to be short lived.

The visitors replied through Gareth Magee and centre forward Adam Loughran to move ahead once more and at this stage it still looked anybody’s game.

The visitors went into the second water break 0-12 to 2-05 ahead but that was as good as it was to get for them as Cargin found a response.

Centre back Laverty’s 47th minute point saw the home side draw level and with Kevin McShane dominating the central zone they began to get on top. The introduction of Michael Magill and Tomas McCann added impetus to their attack and a fine Brendan Laverty point saw them hit the front.

Jamie Gribbin added another to increase the lead to two and when minor star Sean Og O’ Neill nipped away for a great point in the 59th minute the home side were home and dry.


Cargin: Shay Bovill, Donnach Mc Keever, Justin Crozier, Brendan Laverty (0-01), David Johnston, James Laverty (0-01), Ronan Gribbin, Kevin McShane, Pat Shivers (1-01), Ciaran Bradley, Jamie Gribbin (0-01), John Carron, Kieran Close (1-02), Mark Kelly, Michael Clarke


Michael Magill (0-02) for J Carron

Paul Mc Cann for C Bradley

Sean Og O’ Neill (0-01) for M Clarke

Aghagallon: Luke Mulholland (0-02), Aiden Mulholland, Daniel Donnelly, Ryan O‘ Neill (0-01), Jamie Lamont, Pat Brannigan, Paul Mulholland, Ruairi Mc Cann (0-01), Eunan Walsh, Adam Loughran (0-01), Ruairi Loughran, Gareth Magee (0-06), Caolan Farr (0-01), Daryl Mc Alernon


Michael Mc Stravick for P Mulholland

Stephen Brannigan for J Lamont

Des Marshall for C Farr

 Referee K Parkes (St Enda’s)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.