Dunloy hold on to keep their unbeaten run intact

Senior Reserve Football Shield – Group 2

Con Magees 1-13 Dunloy 2-11

A goal from Anthony Smith midway through the second half of Friday evening’s Reserve Football Shield Group 2 game proved to be  the crucial score that gave the Cuchullains victory against gallant Glenravel. After trailing for most of first half the home team were thrown a lifeline when Dave Birt fired low to the Dunloy net to cut their five point deficit back to just two at the interval. They drew level early in the new half and when they went one in front just before the ‘water break’ they appeared to hold the upper hand. When Joe Martin added a point from a free on 46 minutes to put them two ahead they appeared to be well on top, but a great break from Dunloy’s Kevin McAllister, which saw the corner forward dribble the ball along the ground for about fifty metres, saw him place substitute Anthony Smith for a really well taken goal which swung the momentum back in the visitors favour.

Dunloy looked really good early in the game and two fantastic points from Paul McNally and a goal from Daithi Cree had them 1-6 to 0-3 in front. The Cucullains appeared to be cruising but a point from Joe Martin and a late goal from Dave Birt, following a fine run by Shanlee Kerr, left the home side just two adrift the break.

Con Magees 1-4 Dunloy 1-6

Two  points in the opening minute of the second half from Dave Birt and Joe Martin brought Glenravel back on terms, and though two from substitute Anthony Smith restored the Dunloy cushion, the home team again battled back and with big Martin McCarry creating havoc on the edge of the Dunloy square were soon back on terms. Frankie Cochrane edged Dunloy back in front but McCarry was creating no end of problems for the Dunloy defence and three points without reply out the Con Magees two in front by the 37th minute.

It was then that Anthony Smith got his vital goal to put his team back ahead, and when Tuggy McGrath added a point they had a two point cushion. The home team did their best to salvage the game and Joe Martin tapped over an injury time point the gap was down to the minimum, but Dunloy the defence held firm to take the honours and keep their unbeaten run intact.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.