Quinn’s late strike proves a winner

Reserve Football Cup (round four)

Group 2

Erin’s Own Cargin 2-09 St Brigid’s 1-11

A 55th minute goal, tucked away in the utmost proficiency by PJ Quinn proved the winner as Cargin came from behind to snatch the verdict over the visiting St Brigid’s in a hugely entertaining Reserve Cup tie at Toome on Friday evening.

The South Belfast side made the running for most of the hour and indeed they had 1-03 on the board by the end of the opening quarter with the home side still to trouble the scoreboard attendant.

Ronan O’ Neill raced away to find the net just before the opening water break and he was causing the home defence problems.

The Toome men settled down somewhat in the second quarter as Sean Og O’ Neill opened account in the 16th minute and a Peadar McKeever delivery opened the way for John Mc Nabb to add another a couple of minutes later.

 The visitors were quick to respond however with the pace laden Ryan Tweedy’s direct running causing problems to the Cargin defence and  St Brigid’s were full value for a 1-05 to 0-03 interval advantage.

Tweedy fired over a 22nd minute point and after Peadar McKeever replied for the home side, Niall Lundy popped up on the right hand side to raise another for the visitors.

Having taken a time to get it together in the opening half, Cargin were soon into their stride after the break and when Odhran McGuckin found John McNabb on the edge of the square the full forward was impeded and a penalty award followed.

McNabb dusted himself down to assume responsibility for the spot kick making no mistake with a powerful finish to reduce the deficit to a couple of points.

Back came the visitors with back to back points by centre back Barry McMahon and a fine long range Niall Lundy point looked to have put them back in control.

Cargin had introduced Joe Maybin and Duatlach Johnston for the second half and were finding their feet in the central zone where Kyle Johnston was having impact and the home side responded with back to back points from PJ Quinn and Peadar McKeever.

St Brigid’s replied as Niall Lundy added a point but the home side were back on terms at the second water break as points from the lively PG Quinn and Sean O’Neill saw the score at 1-08 apiece at the end of the third quarter.

All to play for in the final quarter as St Brigid’s took the lead once more when Ryan tweedy raced away to raise a 50th minute white flag.

Cargin were quick to reply as John Mc Nabb fired between the posts and when Sean Og Quinn found Joe Maybin his clever lob sent PJ Quinn away on the right to deftly tuck the leather in the corner of the net.

St Brigid’s threw everything at the opposition in the closing stages and back to back points from Conor Taylor and Rory O’ Neill saw them close the gap to the minimum but that was as close as they got as Cargin held on to claim the points and retain top spot in Group 2.

Cargin: Conor Ewart, Sean Og Quinn, Brian Og Devlin, Eamon Laverty, Orrin Johnston, Jamie Kennedy, Malachi Johnston, Odhran Mc Guckin, Conor Mc Larnon, Peadar Mc Keever (0-02), Sean Og O’ Neill (0-02), Sean Mc Auley, PJ Quinn (1-03), John Mc Nabb (1-02), Shay Bovill


Kyle Johnston for O Johnston

Dualtach Johnston for B Devlin

Joe Maybin for S Bovill

Sean McElhone for S McAuley

St Brigid’s: Kevin McGovern, Shay Campbell, Daniel Foster, Eoin Mc Kernan, Finn Mc Kernan, Barry Mc Mahon (0-01), Thomas Mc Carney, Shane Boyle (0-01),  Niall Lundy (0-03), Brian Mc Carthy, Conor Doherty, Ryan Tweedy (0-02), Jimmy Mc Kenna (0-01), Rory O’ Neill (1-02), Conor Taylor (0-01)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.